A new low of journalistic ignorance

Talking about the Cistine Chapel stovepipe that's emitting black or white smoke. Journalist describes the "copper pipe", when a closeup shot plainly shows a rusty old steel flue. Jesus the Plumber and Heating Engineer would be spinning.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I just saw a news clip with a copper flue (two into one).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I heard that they'd built the flue specially -- is it likely they've re-used the one they used last time? (It were only a few years ago!)

HaHa! :-D

Reply to
Another John

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, "Another John" writ:

Or, in today's daily Mail, the announcement that the Atacama Large Millimeter Array is being switched on today and it will be 10 times sharper than the Hubble telescope.

The Atacama Large Millimeter Array is a radio telescope and the Hubble is an optical telescope.

Anyone spot the problem?

Reply to
Percy

No.

resolution is down to angular resolution. Its entirely possible aperture synthesis can do better at radio wavelengths than the hubble does at optical.

Its also entirely possible that active mirrors and software can do a good enough job to correct for air movements to render larger earth based optics superior to yer Hubble.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your assumption that there is a problem.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The Atacama array is decidedly impressive and does have a better anugular resolution than the Hubble and so does the VLA at some of the shorter cm radio wavelengths.

Images from aperture synthesis are generally presented the same way as an optical image would be and have been since the 1990's.

It is actually hard to do this for large apertures to stay diffraction limited but they can do better than without active correction. The biggest gain comes from rapid tip-tilt and defocus corrections on long exposures.

These days there is a lot of work on so called "lucky seeing" which amounts to taking a series of short exposures (running a glorified webcam) and selecting only the images that are sharp shifting them and adding. This is accessible to amateurs for planetary imaging using a cheap webcam and registax and has revolutionised the field.

There is usually an amateur scope imaging Jupiter in realtime somewhere on Earth and with enough resolution to see any impactors that hit it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Images I saw yesterday were of copper pipes inside the Chapel. No doubt the wall-to-wall coverage will provide further opportunities to ID the material.

Copper inside, supported by temporary scaffolding, rusty old flue outside on the roof.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Like many disagreements, it turns out that both were right. Copper and steel.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Actually, I'm not sure I was right. On yesterday's evening TV, the close-up of the chimney emitting white smoke looked decidedly like copper to me, so copper right through.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Just a bit surprising it wasn't gold-plated. After all,so much else around there is.

Reply to
polygonum

I was a bit surprised at the rather 'Heath-Robinson' arrangement of the temporary scaffolding supporting the flue inside the building. I'm sure many here could do a much more professional and neater job!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

TV last night showed it as clearly patinated copper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Italian heating engineers work with stainless or copper for flues and that's about it.

Reply to
Steve Firth