(Early) Harvest

Can't remember if I mentioned this here (sorry if I did ;)), but due to circumstances that totally should've been forseen, the garden didn't get watered by our house-watcher while we were away on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

Caused the potatoes and onions to wilt a bit prematurely, and rather than risk them dying and rotting I just pulled everything up.

Things were small (as I half expected):

- Most of the potatoes were only about fingerling sized, though I did get a few that're closer to 2.5-3" (~6-8cm) in diameter. - Onions are all basically "pearl" sized at about 1" (~2.5cm). - Garlic was juuuust starting to bulb up, so would've been too much effort to save (the biggest bulb was just over 0.5" or so, and the cloves were miniscule).

Prepared a few dishes so far with the onions (sandwiches mostly). Hopefully the other bed isn't "too close" for next season (2024), since these homegrown ones make the grocery store's taste like cardboard.

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Did you consider watering it to see if it was all truly dead before you dug it all up ? "Wilted" isn't always "dead" .

Reply to
Snag

Yes, but I only "lost" about 2 weeks of growing time (considering when we went on vacation / when frost allegedly is / having 6 weeks to get some green manure started). So figured best route was pull the plants and know I'd be getting some reduced harvest vs. "losing it all".

Reply to
Dan Purgert