Coniferous plants have flowers?

Hi All,
My Rosemary plant has flowers!

Coniferous (pine trees) plants have flowers? What am I missing?
They are awfully pretty!
-T
Reply to
I cheat a bit. I have a customer who is a genius with a camera and gave me some tips. If I were to back away with the camera or change the angle a bit, it would not have looked so nice.
We get yellow pine tree pollen everywhere every year. Lucky, it is non-allergenic. But I have never seen the flowers. I have a Ponderosa Pie growing in my back yard. I will look more closely. Mainly, I just smell the bark.
Reply to
Goody. Pretty, eh? Mine blooms every winter, although, not as profusely as the one pictured.
Yep.
Maybe you aren't looking closely enough. They're inconspicuous but the yellow pollen certainly isn't: It blankets _everything_ outdoors down here every winter.
Reply to
derald
In article snipped-for-privacy@invalid.con writes:
That's where pinecones come from.
Had a ~40' white pine in our front yard. It's been gone for about 2 years, and I think there is still some pollen on my truck.
Reply to
Drew Lawson
Hi All,
I looked this up. Extremely interesting and explains all the yellow pollen everywhere.

Pine trees have two cones. Male and female. No flowers.
Pine trees are "wind" pollinated. The male cones are typically on the lower half of the tree and the female one (the ones that eventually develop into classical "pine cones") are typically on the upper half of the tree. This is to assist cross pollination and discourage self pollination.
Here is a picture of a male pine cone.

I took economic botany in college. It was the most fascinating course I took. I still remember it.
"Flowers" were a YUGE evolutionary improvement over wind pollination. Requires far less pollen for one thing!
Just some trivia. You can tell a Ponderosa and a Jeffrey pine tree by the cones. The Ponderosa's cones thorns curve outward and are painful to pick up. The Jeffery's Pine cones thorns curve inward, and are not painful to pick up. Both trees smell like butterscotch. Yes, I am a tree smell-er, but not a tree hugger.
-T
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads