collecting melon seeds question

Hi All,

I came across a store bought honey dew / cantaloupe cross that was quite tasty. How would I process the seeds if I want to try growing one or two? They are sitting inside the melon in water and not sprouting, so I was wondering?

Wonder if the seeds would give me the same melon too.

Many thanks,

-T

Interesting. The store called it a "orange meat melon". I am wondering is Honeylope or Canadew would be a better name. On second thought, that second candidate might be considered rude in some circles. :-D

You could always try it, it might come out something terrible or something good.

I've done a few of those things and mostly they come out as something terrible. What the heck, go for it.

Reply to
George Shirley

Do I dry them out or something first?

We always put them between two paper towels and let them dry. Once you plant them you will need to water them frequently too.

Nowadays we just eat seedless watermelon and generally toast and eat the cantaloupe seeds while watching mindless television shows.

Reply to
George Shirley

Thank you!

Shell and all?

I eat Pumpkin seeds (they are really squash seeds) all the time, but they are hulled.

No, we spit out the shell. Just crack them between your teeth and ptoo the shell, chew the innards and do it again.

A beautiful Saturday morning here in Harris Cty, TX, what a change from yesterday's intermittent rain.

I'm trouble shooting a fifteen year old computer and have come to the conclusion that that sucker is truly dead. At least I got all the good stuff off of it. Nothing lasts forever I reckon.

Reply to
George Shirley

Just like a pumpkin seed then.

I do that kind of stuff for a living. Ping me if you need any advice. I fixed the probable last DOS computer in the county last December.

Thank you for helping me with all the gardening stuff!

-T

Although I have no experience with any melon crosses, I do know the seeds from the typical cantaloupes we get here in NJ (NOT muskmelons), germinate rather easily. I know this because when I took the top off the compost bin yesterday, the top layer was covered in cantaloupe seedlings.

That said, any fruiting that occurs will be one big crap shoot. Still, if you have the space, garden experiments are always fun.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I will get another one from the store this week and and give it a try!

Two years ago we pot holed the carcass of a large cantaloupe in one of our fence line beds. A month later it was covered with vines and we harvested three cantaloupes. Somewhat smaller than the original but, IMHO, much tastier than the original. Alas, the seeds from those were planted but did not grow, might have been the heat that year.

That crap shoot paid off but many don't. I'm looking for some beef seeds.

Reply to
George Shirley

You and me, both.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Unless you are one of the unfortunate folks with Celiac, grow wheat, make seitan. I still eat meat, but a well-seasoned hunk of "wheat meat" is not something I'm averse to - I've had knockwurst that were identical in flavor and texture to the real thing. Not quite going to get there for a plain grilled steak, but any seasoned dish it can be awfully close, and beats the heck out of tofu 10 times out of 10.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I eat vegetables, make my own bread, mostly whole wheat or multiple grains. I still eat meat, mostly two or three times a week. I've never had faux meat though.

Multiple heart attacks, coronary bypass, diabetes, multiple strokes, etc. I eat what I want, I will soon be 77 years old and, like Frank Sinatra sings, I'm going to do it my way.

I was eating healthy, organic stuff when I had all those strokes.

Reply to
George Shirley

Ha! A valiant effort! Did SWMBO roll her eyes? (I got me one too. The more they love you, the bossier they get.)

Organic "healthy carbs" (there is no such thing) gave me Diabetes.

Get your homocysteine checked. Nag, Nag, Nag.

Or are the one out of eleven that it gives T2 Diabetes, like me.

We're enrolled in the only five star Medicare Advantage Plan in the United States, Kelsey-Seybold. They take good care of us. I'm in the middle of a prolonged nuclear testing for my heart, it is a PITA but might help with some of the health problems I have.

I've been carrying diabetes around since the early nineties and had my first heart attack even earlier than that. It all comes from eating the white man's food. Luckily I have a grandson who hunts so we get venison, wild pig, etc. occasionally.

Reply to
George Shirley

Hi George,

Yum!

I have a customer that hunts. Sometimes I score some wild meat, but only once or twice a year. The rest of the time, I am on grass fed beef. Have not figured out what seeds that are using to grow them yet. I think they are holding out on me. :-)

And you actually have to ask/demand they check your homocysteine, as they don't make any money off the treatment. It is a sad commentary on our medical establishment, but you have to demand the test anyway. And they will try to talk you out of it. Again, no money involved.

Look up homocysteine on the web. It is probably what was responsible for your strokes and heart attacks. Maybe not, but check the damned thing anyway!

And if it is high and they won't tell you the treatment, I will.

Nag, nag, nag. Hey, nagging is kind of fun!

-T

And you DO NOT want me to tell SWMBO !!!

I have Kaiser-Permanente which is supposedly a 5 start Medicare Advantage Plan...they treat me very well

Reply to
ZZyXX