Ping George: How do I harvest pepper seeds?

Hi George and Everyone,

I do love my Chimayo (New Mexico Red) peppers. I buy them dried from the local Mexican store. They are FULL of seeds. I tried sprouting these seeds and got zip, nothing. So something is wrong.

Well now. I have a lovely Sandia (an heirloom Chimayo) growing in my garden that I adore. I would like to sprout peppers from it next year.

What is the proper method of collecting the seeds? Let the pods turn red first before picking? Dry them? I have no clue.

Many thanks,

-T

I don't bother getting seeds, we grow so many that they can get cross pollinated and you get a hot chile or one so mild no one wants it. It's best to get fresh seed every year.

If you are only growing one variety it is okay to gather the seeds. They need to hang and dry until the fruit is completely dry and then you gather the seeds. Even then there may be a difference in the seeds when the plant grows fruit. Could be cross pollination from nearby chiles or from other sources or just due to the weather, etc. It's a crap shoot planting your own seed. I gave it up years ago and try to buy the best seed I can find online. Even then the people loading the packages have put the right seeds in the wrong package.

Used to get seeds from all other the world from other chile lovers but the Feds finally stopped all that. Probably safer for all of us.

If you still want to try your own seed let the pod dry on the plant then hang it in a dry place for a bit. Be careful as some insects and pests like chillies too.

Reply to
George Shirley

Thank you!

Now if I can discipline myself not to pick and eat them!

Found seeds on line:

I have a Poblano (Ancho) growing about 30 feet away. I should buy the seeds.

Thank you!