Br-r-r-r

Winter finally made it down to the sunshine state. Frost this morning: Not unheard of but unusual this early in the season. Overnight low of

30° on the our front porch. Not real optimistic about the green beans, the eggplants and the tomatoes. The okra was about done for, anyway, but everything else still was doing well but this morning is all sparkly and stuff.
Reply to
derald

replying to derald, Iggy wrote: Geo-engineering at its best in years. Just a "Flu Season" (if you believe that utter fraud and crime upon humanity) reminder, it only took a few hours for the CDC to laughably jump in and claim a Flu Pandemic while moronically saying they guessed the flu right again for their as-many-suckers-as-we-can-get-AGAIN-"vaccine". Oh and, go run to your Market, Fresh Fields and Whole Foods for your cancer and disease re-dosing, fruits and vegetables are really-really important...so says your Gov't Liars of the food pyramid proven scam. Sorry, I had to get a little truth out there.

Reply to
Iggy

  It's been down to the mid-teens here - but then we are a little north of you . Predicted low tonight of 31°F in town which means it'll be more like 25° or lower out here in The Holler . We just put another log on the fire and open the damper a bit . Have to keep the Harley's on the battery tenders or they won't start in the morning ...   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  Paranoid much ?   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

replying to Terry Coombs, Iggy wrote: Just facts, whether you like them or not.

Reply to
Iggy

10F forecast for tonight, high of 13F tomorrow, 9F forecast for tomorrow night...

yeah, winter is here. even had some snow on the ground that has stayed.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

This little chilly spell is the first requiring heat in the hovel, so I can't complain. Already warming up a bit but we're bracing for the next one, which appears to be just a couple of days ahead of us. I think the green beans, okra, tomatoes and most of the peppers have had the lick but I might be able to rehabilitate the eggplant, although, I'll have to prune a quite a bit of it , including the latest flush of blossoms. Probably could have prevented damage by covering and providing a little heat but didn't bother. The Tabasco and some of the jalapeño peppers seem o.k. the sweet peppers are pitiable. The okra and eggplants were still producing, as was one variety of green beans (Delinel}, although, the okra had slowed a good bit. The other beans (Slenderette) are covered with blossoms which don't appear to be damaged, although, the plants' foliage was severely burned. Not optimistic about their survival but will wait and see.... OTOH, the mustard, turnips and green peas are loving the cooler weather. Noticed a few blossoms on the peas yesterday so must, for sure, prepare to cover those. Fortunately, I have a "system" and I love systems almost as much as I love plans! No problem with the greens: Those suckers can freeze solid and still survive if left unmolested. Don't like cold weather but am hoping it stays cool for a while. The carrots must have cool temps if they're to be edible.

Reply to
derald

At least it isn't rain!

Reply to
derald

i wouldn't have minded that either ways. i'm actually glad we had an earlier start to the cold season this year than the past few years where it hasn't been this cold until late December or even in January. it's let me stop from digging and giving the shoulder a rest. done for the season. read five books the past few days and took it easy. shoveled a little snow the other day. that's about it.

cold and windy today but the sun is out which is nice to see for a change. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote: ...

i was hoping the radishes would survive being frosted/frozen a bit, but that didn't happen. they were rather mushy. the turnips seemed ok but i'm not sure how much abuse they can take. i left one out there that was about a foot across. the rest i've chopped up and left for worm food. a few turnips were basketball sized. they can grow quickly when the rains come along. :)

wind chill today is probably close to 0F.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Sunny and windy here, too, but not so cold: Noon-ish now and 68. Weather geeks are calling for high 30's tonight. Gonna need a fire again; foot.

Reply to
derald