Bobcat pee

It's not scientific because it's a data point of 1, but I think the stuff works. I haven't had a raccoon problem this year, normally I'm lucky if I get one ear of corn but this year I've had corn for a over a week and the only creature eating it is me. Most of my corn is fenced but that never helped in years past, but this year I've got some corn in a new garden that doesn't have a fence and it's unmolested also. I had a few deer in my unfenced garden earlier in the summer but they haven't been back since I sprinkled the bobcat urine and hung bars of Irish spring on my tomato cages.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Had some neighbor dogs that barked at me all the time. Put some wolf piss on my side of fence to drive them away but they ended up rolling about in ecstasy.

Reply to
Bill who putters

A dog is just a wolf with a nicer personality, it's not surprising that they wouldn't mind wolf urine. On the other hand a bobcat is probably one of the few animals that might scare a raccoon. Of course it could be something else entirely. In early the 80s I had a neighbor who liked to shoot raccoons, he's long gone but maybe there is another neighbor who is shooting them now. Trapping them never helped. I've trapped and moved dozens of them over the years but it never made a dent in their population.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

General Schvantzkoph wrote: ...

not here either.

i'm thinking i should put out some bowls of sugar water or cheap lemon lime soda (no caffiene i don't want them out all day too!) for them.

in good news, i've actually eaten a few grapes this year already so i'm ahead of them. shhhhh! i hope they can't read usenet...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I think any fresh, strange scent acts as a temporary deterent. I've been spraying some of wife's discarded perfume to deter deer with some effect.

Someone sold a neighbor fox urine to deter deer and it worked for a while but they came back to eat in her garden.

Reply to
Frank

Children's stories ask "who bells the cat?". I would like to know who collects these samples in commercial quantities.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott