Anyone have a greenhouse.

I'm just wondering if it makes sense. Because I have 5 months of snow. And I could seed in my house windows. Or my hydro units if I wanted to pay the electric. And I don't want to heat it. I've got commercial greenhouses near me that sell awesome starter plants.

Reply to
DogDiesel

If you have five months of snow, you'll need to heat it during the winter. I built one for my wife, it's 12' x 14' and is stuck on the south end of our house. We're just north of Baltimore, Maryland. During the winter, it gets up to 80 degrees F during a sunny day but would chill way down at night or on a cloudy day without a heater.

I ran a 220 line out there for heat. She keeps it at 50 degrees F during the winter and I figured that costs us about $300 in extra electricity each year. She enjoys gardening in the snow so much that the extra expense is worth it.

You may want to consider a cold frame instead of a greenhouse. Our cold frame is a box about 3' high and 14' long with clear plastic doors on top. This lets the sun heat it up in the early spring for starting seedlings to get a jump on the planting season.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Or consider a heated frame using heated soil cables next to your house.

Reply to
Dan L

I love my greenhouse. I currently have my fill of lettuce, peas and tomatoes (cherry) and peppers.Gosh I guess I have taken things for granted, I have more than I think! I will start my pepper plants for the real garden by January 15 and tomato plants by the end of January. I plant the garden by the begining of April. I love the fact that the seed catalogs are already in the mail !

Reply to
mjciccarel

Between my wife's greenhouse and my greyhouse (the mushroom garden in the basement) we always have something fresh and interesting on the table.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I got a similar dilemma about greenhouse. I understand that it needs to be heated during cold winter months but what about the light? As much as I understand most of the vegetables require lots of direct sunlight. Do you provide them an additional artificial lightning? I would love to harvest tomatoes and sweet peppers during winter.

Reply to
pascale