Greenhouse Heater

Having used a single Southern Burner to heat an 8x12 greenhouse for many years, we find it can't quite keep up with the heating demand in our new 12x16 greenhouse. We'd like to add another heater that does not require a chimney pipe. Rinnai makes a couple of direct vented models that are probably more efficient than a Southern Burner, but with the added complexity of fans and considerable electronics. We wonder if the humid atmosphere would damage such a sophisticated heater. Please share your experience using a Rinnai or similar direct vented heater in a greenhouse. Fred in Lakewood, Colorado

Reply to
fb

What does Rinnai say about using their product in a humid environment? Seems like a good time to contact them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

While I was browsing the net for greenhouse info I stumbled onto this site.

're using a Comfort Glow model #CGP10TL Propane Heater which has the advantage of needing no electricity to work.

Not sure if they still make them but I'm sure they have something comparable in natural gas.

Question is, do you really need the fans, buttons, bells and whistles? Or would it be better to set up a static system centrally located which will heat by convection.

I know my first choice.. In fact, I'd picked up one of those oil filled electric radiator heaters to heat a badly insulated addition to our house (which is my office I'm in all the time) and it heats the whole room without issue. Makes quite a bit of wind, just by convection.

Anyway.. Just my 2.5 cents.

Here's the website.

scroll down to the vent free units. I'd opt for blue flame as you don't want the heat directing out to the plants, but up to heat the room.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand