Anyone grow broccoli?

Hey all,

I had a question about growing broccoli. I'm in Chicago and usually do ok with cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet peas and bell peppers every year. Same with other minor herbs and spices. Some total failures with other things.

The broccoli falls in the middle.

I tried (from seed) some in the ground, some in a planter.

All of them seemed to come up very well, a few of the ground ones probably got to over 2 feet wide, healthy leaves, good solid stalks.

The problem is, never got anything edible out of them.

They all sprouted like one (and I mean one) thing that looked like a peice of broccoli (single peice) in the center of the plant, but it would of been barely a mouthful if you picked it.

I figured it would expand out into a clump, like you would get from the store, a bunch of them.

But shortly after those single serving peices showed up (maybe 3 days), they all flowered and basically started growing these stalks/shoot things that just flower and nothing else.

Maybe it was just bad seeds since the ones in pots were in the Miracle Grow potting soil and the ground ones were normal good soil with fertizers (both well watered and enough sun) and they both came out the same (except in size).

Did I miss something somewhere?

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Broccoli needs a good soil (potting soil + Miracle Grow isn't it). Think compost and good mineral balance. Ideally many hours of sun (how many did yours get?). In my northern area, fairly wide spacing. And the right seed. I still don't get the huge heads that I sometimes see in some markets, but the taste and the long lasting side-shoots make up for it!

Reply to
Frank Miles