Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Stink bugs
Stink bugs are messing up the tomatoes big time. Put out some containers of water under each bush this morning, hoping the !@#$ bugs drown. Put a little cooking oil in each container, also hoping that...
16
16

Picking the peas
Picked a big bucket of peas yesterday and shucked them. Went out this morning about 0800 and Lo! got about half a bucket. Darned things ripened in the dark. Right now I have two quarts of peas in a...

getting out early in the day
to get heavy stuff done, then come in for siesta and putter around the rest of the day. we did finally have some good rain that helped soften up the ground where i'm digging out the ditchgrass (very...
5
5

First chomping
Cooked our first mess of black crowder peas this afternoon. They weren't as big as the ones my Dad used to grow but they were still pretty tasty. The liquid from the cooked peas is sort of a dark...
11
11

Garden stuff
Picked another small batch of ripe figs this morning, Also picked more sweet peppers, a few more tomatoes, and some squash. Will pick the crowder peas again this evening. The kumquat tree is...

Another picking party
Went out around 0630 this morning and picked a peck of peppers, tomatoes, crowder peas, eggplant, and six ripe figs. I was startled to see ripe figs already but will eat them anyway. The last few days...
2
2

lesson learned
Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want to talk about it.
4
4

wind blew down some of my garlic
Hi All, We had a big wind some through a few weeks ago and blew down several of my garlic plants. I just left them alone, but the tops just went brown. (Had I know, I would have picked the tops, they...
4
4

More rain
At least it's not flooding at the moment. Skies have been overcast all day and there's a nice, light rain falling. The crowder peas have pretty much taken over the garden, runners up to ten or twelve...

How do I control earwigs?
Hi All, Went out after dark to look at my sprouting pots. I got earwigs! And if I am not mistaken, they are munching away on my children. I sprayed them with chrysanthemum. How do I get rid of these...
3
3

High school reunion
We drove over to Orangefield, Texas this morning and back this afternoon. The High School has an annual reunion for all years on the second Saturday in June each year and today was the day. The...
4
4

Will a soaker hose attached to a 5 litre container have enough pressure?
I need to be able to water my strawberries from outside the cage. The cage is quite large, containing 12, 2.5mx1.5m beds. I thought I could rig up a system for each bed using a loop of soaker hose...
5
5

vegi scraps bucket?
Hi All, You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into a bucket, then bury. Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do you seal it with a lid? Many thanks, -T
7
7

drainage on sprouting cups?
Hi All, Should my peat cups I use to sprout seeds have drainage or should they sit in their own water? Many thanks, -T
2
2

Do sow bugs eat my sprouts?
Hi All, Found some sow bugs in my sprouting cups. (I killed them all.) Do they eat my sprouts? -T
2
2