Zinc or galvanised nuts and bolts/washers

I hope I am posting this to the right group.

I have a sump guard under my car which protects it but the screws that hold it had corroded so I drilled them out and want to replace with nuts and bolts washers. As the underside of the car comes into contact with alot of wetness what kind of nut\\bolt washer would be recommended ?

I went into B&Q and saw zine and galvanized nuts/bolts/washers but couldn't get anyone to speak to me to see if they were a suitable product for me.

Be glad of some advise.

Reply to
GreasyFingers

How long are you planning on keeping the car?

Stainless steel will last the longest but cost the most.

Reply to
Palindrome

Either zinc or cadmium plated would be the norm for this. Stainless steel if you want to really go for it, especially if they were to be visible, which I presume they're not, for a sump guard.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Tll it dies or I do :)

Reply to
GreasyFingers

As someone else has said cad plate or preferably stainless steel. Whatever you use I'd advise a grease coat when putting them on. If you can get hold of it use silicone grease. Bit more expensive but from experience it does a better job long term of protecting against seizure of screw threads.

Reply to
AlanG

I agree with that one ..stainless screw threads and stainless nuts have a habit of becoming "threadbound" or seized so a little silicon grease is well worth it.

Reply to
biggirlsblouse

I have a tube of dow corning MS4. Use it as a thermal paste normally but I found out years ago it would stand up to just about anything including use on exhaust fittings.

Just checked Dow Corning and it is sold as DC4 silicone grease now. Shows how long it is since I bought any.

Reply to
AlanG