Removing Rawl Bolts from wall

I have removed an aerial bracket from my house wall and I am left with 5

16mm Rawl bolts stuck in the wall. They are drilled though the rendering into breeze block.

Any ideas on how to remove them as simply pulling on the bolts doesn't seem to work.

Reply to
Bob Hardwell

Well, if pulling on them worked, they wouldn't work IYSWIM!

You could try whacking them in with a big hammer but I suspect the expanding bit is well and truly set now. Otherwise it's remove render, angle grind off, paint with oil based paint to prevent rusting and repair render (I'm afraid).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Wack them a few times with a heavy hammer because they might be rusted into their respective sleeves?

If this doesn't do it bend them a little and get a pair of hefty mole grips on them to try and at least turn them a bit.

Reply to
George

B-)

Take the bolt right out then put it back in 5mm or so. Then tap up/down/left/right/in/out and otherwise waggle the bit in the wall with luck you may be able to free it from the block.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you haven't already destroyed the threads - you can try could try putting a couple of nuts on the thread and tightening them together, this should hopefully allow you to get a wrench on them to undo them. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Replace the bolt and tap it inwards (or tap the threaded part the nuts fitted). This will release the wedge with some types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bob Hardwell explained on 20/05/2008 :

Possibility of extraction, depends on how tight a fit the sleeve is in the hole...

Put the bolt back in, but stuck out about 1/2 clear of the wall and give the head a thump with a hammer. That should force its wedge/nut out of the sleeve and might free it. It just might now be possible to pull pull the entire thing out - if not try hitting the bolt head up, down left, right to free it a little in the hole. If lots of that fails

- it will never come out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The majority of replies seem to think that you have removed a bolt from the fixing but if I understand you correctly you have removed a nut from each thread and are left with a thread sticking out of the wall. If so These CANNOT be pulled out, otherwise they wouldn't do their job!

Ttry knocking the thread back into the hole, put a nut on the thread first to protect the thread in case you need it later. If you are lucky then the original installer may have drilled the holes deep enough so the thread goes right in below the wall surface. If so paint the metal bits with oil based paint, fill the hole with mortar/render and surface paint as required.

If the hole isn't deep enough use a suitable plate with a hole (and a nut) to draw out the thread and cut off sufficient to allow the thread to go below the wall surface and proceed as above,

Hope that makes sense, it does to me but I know what I am trying to say.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

In message , Franko writes

Franko, you're a saint!

Your suggestion worked as it allowed me to twist the bolts and loosen them enough to extract them.

Thanks to you and all the other replies!

Reply to
Bob Hardwell

HOORAY !... thanks for the update Bob. It's nice to know that I have given some helpful advice for once instead of just asking questions of others.

Thanks, Franko.

Reply to
Franko

But but were you on about the actual bolts or the bolts sleeve inserts that you were trying to get out? Or was it Thrubolts ie theres a difference between Rawlbolts and Thrubolts.

Reply to
George

In message , George writes

Perhaps I meant Thrubolts i.e. threaded portion sticking out of wall to which you attach a washer and nut.

Apologies if I caused any confusion. Once I did what Franko suggested I was able to push the threaded bit back a bit and by twisting release the clamps and pull the whole lot out.

Reply to
Bob Hardwell