Type of hex key

I have a grub screw with a hole in the head for a key - not an allen key but a hexagon key with the flat sides not flat but gulleyed in slightly. Thus the hole is more like a star than a hexagon. Does anyone know the name of this screw head/key? It's not a torx, but very similar.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

ZXN perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Torx

Reply to
Woody

Torx

You can pick up Torx screwdrivers cheap on ebay:

Trigger

No, as I said in my post, it's not torx. But similar. Torx won't fit.

Reply to
Rob Graham

Have a look at this and see if your grub screw is there:

Trigger

Pozi drive?

Reply to
Trigger

that's a handy diagram

Reply to
AJH

Ah, right! So it IS a torx but with a bit sticking up to stop normal torx keys from going into it. (Top row, third from left). Tamperproof.

Can't see why they make them tamperproof and then provide keys to fit! Any fixture is tamperproof if you haven't got a suitable key!

Good chart that, Trigger. Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Thanks for the link Trigger, downloaded and printed off and stored - had a problem with a Tri-Wing a few months on a hairdryer repair and ended up grinding the tip of a triangular saw file to fit which resolved the problem.

I then change the screws to Phillips one on reassembly to make any future repairs easier.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Rob,

Keep an eye open on the Aldi.co.uk website, they occasionally do a neat little set that sorts some of the common anti-tamper stuff out - including the anti-tamper Torx screws that you are having problems with.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I found I had actually got the right bits for these tamperproof torx but they fit a hex driver, as is normal. But the shank of the driver is too big to go into the little deep holes that some of the screws are in. Si I cut a slot in the bum end of the bit and used a slim screwdriver!

Reply to
Rob Graham

Phew! So we got there in the end and nobody fell out with each other.

Reply to
Trigger

That link doesn't work for me, but I think what you have is called security torx. I have a set, and very useful they are too.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Sorry didn't see the date -

Reply to