Sealing iron fitting (shower)

I have been trying to get a good seal on a shower valve that uses male iron fittings to compression. The shower valve has the female.

I have tried ptfe tape and it works (sort of) does anybody know of a better way of getting a good seal? I think it needs a washer at the end to stop the metal - metal contact, but I can't find one big enough!

It is starting to drive me mad.....

Reply to
Oddjob

Try an O-ring. Im guessing its 3/4 inch if it to a thermostatic value? Failing that - ptfe is wonderful stuff, apply more so it locks the joint before you get the metal on metal stage.

Lard.

Reply to
Lardman

It is a 1/2 inch fitting and I have now completed this task by using loads and loads of ptfe tape. For something that is going to be buried away and forgot about, I would think there would be a better way of connecting the valve!

Reply to
Oddjob

Pipe joint compound Something like this or similar.

I used to use a black sticky goo from Hermetite but it looks like its off the market.

Test the joint before youu bury it though

Reply to
Alang