'Blanking caps' for washing machine isolator valves?

Having recently replaced my hot+cold fill washing machine with a cold-fill only model I'm left with the hot washing machine supply valve (3/4" thread) disconnected. To minimise the risk of the valve being opened either accidentally or on purpose (e.g. 'I wonder what this does?' from an inquisitive child) I was planning on removing the lever however I was wondering if it's possible to get some form of blanking cap to screw onto the open valve so the lever can remain in place (it'll only get lost otherwise)?

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Yes. Plumber's merchants have them to temporarily blank off compression fittings. You need a flat rubber washer in the cap to seal it, or you can wrap a few turns of PTFE tape around the male part of the valve.

Reply to
Andy Hall

you could also use a compression/solder cap end on a small pieace of pipe. apply an olive and nut and screw on to washer valve! usually the type of stuff you have knocking around???????

Reply to
Gav

Or just hammer the end flat, fold it over, and solder.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Okay, thanks for that - I though they must exist however have been surprised to not see them in the likes of SF, TS and to a lesser extent B&Q. Just goes to show I suppose...

Will call into a plumbers merchant and pick up a couple.. failing that I'll do what Gav suggested and rustle something up.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I reckon '3/4" BSP end caps' should work as the magic incantation at the plumbers merchant.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Is that what these things are intended for ..fitting inside an existing compression cap to blank off a fitting .??..also available in

10 and 15 mm

Stuart

No, 22mm compression fittings are not the same as 3/4" BSP (though 15mm and 1/2" BSP use the same threads).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes but are those things intended for blanking off compression fittings ...Thats what I was asking altho' it might not have been clear .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

hard luck! I tried 2 B&Qs (Warehouses) about 10 days ago for the same, one was sold out, but there was a hanging slot for them & the other had a box with just 1 in it. about a quid IIRC

must be a fast seller, but then I suppose you only try twisting the valve on once without one....

BTW 3/4BSP it is & PTFE tape did the job.

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Thanks for that Jim - I must've overlooked them given I live in what seems to be the home of B&Q warehouses (Bristol) - we've got at least four of them within 10 miles (and a couple of the smaller ones too).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Reply to