Ball valve for washing machine?

I need to replace the valve that the hot hose of my washing machine is connected to. Rather then buy another compression boiler valve, I would like to use a ball valve. Trouble is, I haven't seen any ball valves that you can connect a hose to. I have seen them installed on steam boilers to drain the water regularly so they exist somewhere. I can't use a dual lever valve for both hot/cold because there isn't enough room.

Anybody know where I can find a boiler valve that is also a ball valve?

Reply to
Jim

Probably because their is a ball in it. Actually, boilers use other valves also. To blow down a boiler, you want to be able to open it for full flow so the ball valves are good for that. High pressure requires two types, one fast opening, one slow opening (more than five turns).

So put the ball valve in place, then a pipe nipple, then an adapter to hose fitting. They are available at a good industrial supply house, maybe even Home Depot, but I never looked there. McMaster Carr has them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OP-

Use a ball valve (1/2" NPT). Get a brass 1/2" male NPT to 3/4" garden hose male & you're done.

I do it this way when ever I have to change out the washer valves.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Get a single lever dual valve that connects to both the hot and cold water hoses. You need to install it into your existing lines so there is fitting, cutting and soldering to do. Worth the effort. BTW, at the same time get a couple of steel braided hoses if you don't already have them. MLD

Reply to
MLD

They have ball valves that you can connect a hose to at Home Depot. Lowes doesn't have them.

Reply to
scott_z500

Do you happen to know if the valves at Home Depot are full port ball valves? Stated otherwise, is the opening in the ball large enough that there is no restriction of water flow when the valve is in the open position.

Also, I assume that there is a standard garden hose fitting at one end only?

Thanks, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Update: I used a Nibco model 26 Hose Bibb. It uses a ball valve. Although it's not full flow, it's more than adequate for controlling the washing machine water, and it's easy to see if it's on or off just by looking at it. Hopefully I won't have to replace this valve again.

(C-26 on this page, except mine has a blue handle--couldn't find red

.

Reply to
Jim