Painting a garage floor

I have just redecorated my garage...............just a lick of paint and a tidy up ....but the floor is letting it down. it has been painted in the past......is flaking off by the door where the rain has hit it and penetrated a good few times over the years. The are some holes that need filling here and there in the floor nothing more than 10mm deep just general wear and tear.

I would like to paint the floor again...........any general advice/ pointers please please. What paint ....filler ....application ideas ??? I could end up with a rather plush looking garage:)..sad isn't it !

thanks

Barry

Reply to
bs

Have never actually painted a floor myself so have no personel recomendations had a quick look about found lots of sites about painting a garage floor but they all seem to start on a concrete base I can find none that start with a painted floor .I would be tempted to remove the old paint in its entirety first.

or (if that breaks).

soup

In my experience, I have found sealing the concrete floor first with the floor paint manufacturers concrete sealer (International Paints in my last case) greatly improves the paint adherence to the floor and when it does chip off you don't get lost of dust from the underlying concrete.

If I was doing it again (and could get my garage empty enough to do it again) I would do what my mate did, seal floor and pour on a two part epoxy mix paint that had "grit" in it and spread in a 2-3mm layer. Worked out about £150 in materials but in over 5 years still looks good, cleans easily, still grippy and no damage despite his garage being a workshop.

Reply to
Ian_m