old fireplace 1st floor

Hi

Q1. sometime in the houses past on of the first floors bedroom had its fireplace bricked up rendered over with cement. there is no air brick. Do i need to fit one?

Q2. the hearth has had the tiles removed and left bare. there is a slight dip in the concrete bed right to left that they were laid on. should i take up the area and replace with wood or use some self leveler to fill the area. (approx 3' by 1' 6")

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

I would have thought that you would know if you needed one by seeing dampness. If there's none then it appears to be OK.

If there's concrete/cement there already I would just screed it with some fresh cement. Don't worry about using self leveller unless you are really bad at this sort of thing. If you do use it, make sure that the edges of the 'hole' are all the same height above sea level (which they may not be) or the self leveller will run out at the lowest edge!

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham