No touchy the halogen

I bought a new light fitting today with halogen GU10 spotlight bulbs. The instructions said not to touch the bulbs. Now, to me, the bulb is the bit inside that looks like a car sidelight bulb, and the only bit you can touch is the silvery reflector, and the glass or plastic front on this reflector (being the base of the cone formed by the reflector). Does it mean that you are not to touch this part too? If so, how do you put the bulbs in without touching them? By blowing with great skill?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I use a special little 'sucker' tool supplied with the light fitting, but you can use a dry clean piece of rag.

The reason you shouldn't touch the bulb is because any grease residue left from fingerprints etc., actually begins to boil when the bulb is lit & has a tendency to literally 'blow' it!

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Or you could use a rubber glove ;o)

Reply to
fudgemonkey

Unless you blow your nose like footballers on TV and you wipe your bum in traditional muslim fashion, isn't there a hanky / tissue / bog roll in your house?

Reply to
Emil Tiades

That's what I did in the end - got to watch out the medicated / scented crap the wife buys though!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

crap on crap!