Electric Toothbrushes

We have been bought a Sonic Plakaway electric toothbrush. I thought that an electric toothbrush should be suitable to use in the bathroom, but this unit comes with a three pin fused plug, which I thought was not safe in a bath/shower room. Could someone put me right as as to whether this is safe to use in a bath/shower room.

Reply to
TWEEZER

Is it not re-chargeable? If so you just use the toothbrush in the bathroom and recharge it elsewhere when it needs it.

Regards, Ian

Reply to
Ian

All four of the different models of rechargeable tooth brushes that I have used had 2 pin plugs that fitted the mains razor sockets designed for bathroom use and recharging the razors. fitted if I remember correctly with a 1 Amp fast blow fuse.

In a continental travel adapter set you should be able to find one whose female end accepts your three square pins and male end fits the

2-pin of a bathroom socket.

HTH

Reply to
John Colloff

This thing?

If so, that looks awfully like a recharger base...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It is a charger base, but you would expect to be able to use it in the bathroom safely and that it would have a two pin plug and work from the shaver point. or am I missing something here.....

Reply to
TWEEZER

I too would expect a 2-pin plug to be fitted, given it's use is to be in the vicinity of water and the regs re shaver points. Contact the manufacturers and see what they say re the charger and bathroom use ?

Gio

Reply to
Gio

I have a rechargeable electric toothbrush with a 2-pin plug.

I have an electric shaver point in bathroom but the shaver point only works when the light is switched on. Ie I have to leave the light on when the toothbrush is in base for re-charging!!

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

They will probably say that they conducted market research and discovered that not so many people have a two pin socket in their bathroom.

Reply to
Dystopia

An item designed for bathroom use and which is significantly lower current draw than a shaver (such as a toothbrush charger) has to be designed to work safely at up to 270V, which is what you may find the off-load output of an isolating shaver socket is. Your toothbrush charger might not have been designed with this in mind. If the charger has a wide voltage range which goes down to 120V and you are determined to use it in the bathroom, plug it into the 120V side of the shaver socket.

That's not smart to effectively have a 13A socket there, and with the earth not connected.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

*My* toothbrush charger only works on the 240V side. It also works fine in an ordinary socket (with 2 pin adapter) elsewhere on the house. 120 is just too low.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

My old Braun beard trimmer which has a tiny wide ranging SMPSU built-in to both run and charge it, actually runs slightly faster when plugged into the 120V side, strangely enough.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I didn't know people still wore "Old Braun Beards". Weren't they a variation on the Van Dyck or the Goatee ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks