More advice on a gas fire

Having been dissuaded from buying a flueless gas fire by this NG, I had the Gas Safe fitter call and inspect the room. Due to the garage immediately behind the sitting room wall the fitting of a balanced flue might be difficult. He suggested a "turbo" gas fire that converts the burnt gases to water which are discharged via a small diameter pipe through the wall into the garden. Any horror stories or recommendations for this type of fire anyone? Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter James

You can't change carbon dioxide into water. It's against the laws of physics.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Fair enough. But he seemed to say that the burnt gases could be vented as a liquid via a small tube through the wall and fed into a limestone trap under the garden patio. I can only repeat what I was told.

Peter

Reply to
Peter James

It sounds like bollocks, "turbo" means nothing but if you can get a make and model of what he is suggesting we can work out what it really does.

Some fires will let you have a longish balanced flue (at a cost of course), a google for long flue gas fire popped up quite a few results, this was the first (no connection or recommendation) and they claim 4m is possible for their offering:

fred

That sounds like the condensate from a condensing unit. It's water, but as the carbon dioxide level in the gas is pretty high it ends up as carbonic acid. The limestone would neutralise it. For a while...

You still end up with lots of warm CO2 and N2 to deal with.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ