noisy water pipes

I have an empty house adjoining mine. The landlord had some work done on it the other week including some plumbing. Ever since the plumber finished I get a noise when I run my taps (hot or cold) a sort of "pressure rattle". It is similar to the noise you get when you run the water after the supply has been off for a while. When I turn off the taps I also get the noise . I will talk to the landlord the next time he is there but I was wondering what his plumber might have done so I can prepare myself to ask the right questions !

Reply to
tomm

Just one thought. Do your house and his share a supply? If so, the plumber may have had to turn off the shared external stop c*ck. If that stop c*ck was partially closed before and the plumber has now fully opened it, you may have more pressure coming into your supply. If that is the case, you should be able to reduce it again by partially closing your own internal stop c*ck.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Sounds like you've got what they call water hammer. This seems to me to one of these imponderables that happens in some systems and not in others. As has been suggested, turning your stopcosck off slightly might cure it, or bending a pipe somewhere might do it, or all manner of things that 'might' work! Try a Google for water hammer.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

The plumber doing work next door may have loosened some of your pipes or shared pipes within their hangers or maybe tightened them up too much.. Might be a good idea to check them if you can gain access. Being loose or too tight will cause a ratle When turning off the water.

Reply to
Roger

"Roger" wrote

Or the plumber may have been up in the shared loft space connecting that houses water supply to yours.... dodgier things have happened....

the town my parents live in had a bit of road that was always flooding due to burst water mains, AW kept on replacing little bits of pipe, then the next bit would go in a few months time,

this went on for over 10 years, they were by now in an industrial park digging up the road for the latest leak, and found someone had put in an illegal take off to one of the units, they rekon it was done about 15 years ago, not something you expect to happen... digging up the road in the middle of the night and connecting into the water mains,

Heard of people who have found 6 inch nails driven into the power wires in their lofts (overhead power feed) with some wire wrapped around the nails then leading off into nextdoors house.

Reply to
Gazz