Begging for help again .....

You chaps very kindly offered help and advice last week for which I was most grateful for.

I am begging for some further help to do with my PC.

I have just edited some files, 5 in all, each in a separate folder. I then wanted to put them onto another drive, but in my haste missed the target folder and put them into this one instead:

7180586c53f78e61274c

This folder contains many folders like 1024, 1025, 1028,1031 etc etc etc.

I have tried to move my folders back to where they should be but am prevented from doing so, when I click on one of the folders, I get this mesage on screen:

Access Is Denied

I thought I would fool the computer and drag my folders and some others into a different folder but it out smarted me.

Any ideas how I can get my folders back as I do not have backup copies and will not be able to replace them.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

can you copy/move the *files* back and forget the folders, and remake the folders in the "right" place after?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That folder name looks like one that Windows makes during a major update. If so, then log in as Administrator using the appropriate password (Yours, if you're the only user) then try copying them to where you want them.

If you've been trying to move them instead of copying, you may just have come up against the way that some Windows system folders are by default set for read only access. You may be able to copy them, but not move them, as that means you need delete privileges, which a normal user may not have.

Reply to
John Williamson

Easiest way to do this without having to go to root level admin is to boot from a Linux disc and use that to move the files. I would use a Ubuntu disk.

Reply to
Ericp

Many many thanks to everyone for the help. I tried the various ways using Windows but it wouldn't have it. Even tried with a DOS boot disk but couldn't find the drive the files were on. In the end I followed Ericp's advice and now have managed to get the files back. Thanks Eric. There was me thinking that a dog was mans best friend, just shows you it is Ubuntu instead...... Kindest regards,

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Pleased to have been of service to you.

And you have of course made backup copies in a safe place now? :)

Reply to
Ericp

In article , the_constructor writes

The tool of choice for this in windows used to be Unlocker:

"Unlocker will offer its users the possibility to unlock files that trigger one of the following error messages: · Cannot delete file: Access is denied· There has been a sharing violation.· The source or destination file may be in use.· The file is in use by another program or user.· Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected..."

That was until the author tried to bundle it with ad supported 'tools' to offset his development costs and his credibility went out of the window.

It remains a v useful tool and the use of the portable (no install) version 1.9.0 should avoid any risk of adware infection, avail here:

The install version has the benefit of right click operation. I continue to use v 1.8.5 which is adware free, freeware and available here :

fred

All information recieved is good. Now I have EricP method and a copy of yours Fred. Much obliged to everyone. Yes, Eric, I have made the necessary backups..... I keep telling myself that I will not get caught out again, but sometimes the fingers are faster than the brain..... hi Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Too late now, but next time make use of the menu at the top of every folder window (File Edit View Tools Help). You can undo most file operations by clicking "edit", then "undo move/copy/delete" etc.

If your "aim is a bit off", it's good practice to *copy* (not move) the files to the new destination, then delete the originals when you're absolutely sure you copied them to the right place. And you've still got the safety net of the originals being in your recycle bin until you empty that.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You are 100% correct Metalguy2k8, this is exactly what I should have done and do sometimes do.....

I did try the EDIT / UNDO command but that didn't even work....

Thanks for your input

Reply to
the_constructor