Hot tap in bath problem

All of a sudden yesterday the hot watter tap won't physically open fully. You can force it and it will dribble water out but won't fully open and shoot water out like the cold water tap which is fine.

I took the top cover off, unscrewed it to get at the mechanism ? and it has a split pin as does the cold water and looked at hot and cold water tap and seem identical other than ones not working. washer is on ok and can't understand why it won't turn. I thought about trying to undo the nut with a spanner but didn't have the right size, not sure what good that would've done anyway.

Any adivce on what to do?

Reply to
johnbond

With some taps, there are two parts involved, with the inner part (carrying the washer)threaded into the outer (connected to the knob). It is possible for the inner thread to come out of the outer thread - at which point the tap will still turn but, as the threads aren't meshed, it doesn't cause the inner part to rise and fall, opening and closing off the water flow.

It is often possible to dissassemble the inner from the outer and get the threads to re-mesh whilst reassembling the components. The tap will then work perfectly.

The problem often happens when the tap has a drip and the user over-tighens the tap to try to stop it. That takes the inner thread to its limit within the outer thread and beyond - at which point the threads are no longer meshed.

Reply to
Palindrome

I think you will find you have a hydraulic lock in the mechanism. When you turn the tap on, it lifts the washer part up into a female screwed bit, if you get any water into this bit you get the lock. Just take it all apart, dry it, lubricate it and put it backtogether. I will be worth replacing all the O rings while you are there. You can get the kits in most Sheds.

Baz

Reply to
Baz