Electrical question - security light cable size?

Wish to add a security light to house. It'll be plugged into a socket outlet in garage roof space and will have 5 metres cable run to the 500w security light. What size cable do I need? Thanks, J.

Reply to
John Jones

It's only going to draw a couple of amps, so 3A (0.5mm) or greater flex is going to be fine.

Make sure it is temperature rated for the roof space.

Reply to
Palindrome

-------------- OK, thanks Sue. John

Reply to
John Jones

Do you mean for the cold temperatures? If you are then surely the same cable will also at some point be outside and and exposed to all the elements before it enters the light fitting.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I had hot temperatures in mind. I have a corrugated iron* roof, facing South, and a standard extension lead that I ran along touching the underside melted and stuck at each place where it touched. Luckily, it wasn't connected to a supply at the time.

Cold, IIUC, only affects the flexibility - which possibly won't be a problem for the OP in this case.

  • It had got very rusty and painting it with black "bitumen" didn't help with the temperatures..
Reply to
Palindrome