Hot water cylinder

I'm try to undo the nut a on the top of my hot water cylinder to fit a surry flange but it won't move. I don't want to force it in case the cylinder buckles so I'm kind of stuck.

Can anyone tell me if this should come off - I'm assuming the top is a female thread as the new flange is male.

Should I tap the spanner with a hammer?

I'm doing this now so any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Bob141uk

Quite. Especially now that the shops are shut.

Lesson for future is to do a job like this on Saturday, or during the week :-)

Normally it is. Presumably you have a compression fitting in there with 22mm or perhaps 28mm copper connected to it?

Assuming it is, then the fitting normally has a 1" male threaded end to go into the cylinder.

I would make sure that there is still water in the cylinder up as close as you can to the top to provider some amount of support.

The fitting is normally sealed in with something like hemp and Boss White. If it has been there for some time and hot, then this sets very hard and you have to break the seal.

I favour hitting the spanner rather than the alternative of putting a piece of tube on the spanner as a lever and pulling. It's less likely to buckle the cylinder.

Just try a few blows with gradually increasing force and it should give.

Hope it goes well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy.

I did as you suggested and it did eventually move. I had time to fit the flange but will have to finish the job in week.

Thanks again,

Bob.

Reply to
Bob141uk