Heat resisting paint

I need some gloss black paint to resist up to approx 600 degrees C to touch up the top of my Aga, next to the hot plates.

Strangely, Aga do supply a black gloss touch up kit but the instructions tell you it's only suitable for temps up to 150 degrees C and is not suitable for the top surfaces near to the hot plates.

On most Aga's I have seen the only black surface is the top surface so I wonder why they bother to sell an unsuitable paint at all.

I have googled but no luck.

Anybody help ?

Reply to
Mackem

Hammerite do one to 1000c but there are other paints for exhausts that go higher

Reply to
zaax

Thanks for that, unfortunately Hammerite only do matt black and I need gloss black.

Reply to
Mackem

Hi

The last thing I needed to coat in heat resistant gloss black - I used brake caliper paint which is a special epoxy based stuff I think. However, it certainly wasn't an Aga so I can't comment at all on its suitability for that!

You could try tracking a supplier down (e.g. a car performance/restoration supplier) and asking the question of either them or the manufacturer?

HTH Midge.

Reply to
Midge
600 degrees on the outside of an aga? wow, thats hot! inside maybe, but on the outside that is an incredible heat.
Reply to
Big G

The black enamel extends right up to the hot plates and is then partly covered by the hot plate lids. It is right next to the hot plates where the problem arises - the old enamel has flaked off. I have not measured the temperature but AGA has said the original enamel is heat resistant up to 600 degrees C whereas the touch up paint they sell is only suitable for temps up to 150 degrees C and their instructions say it is not suitable for the top surface of an AGA.

Reply to
Mackem