Dishwasher repairs

Our 7 year old Neff dishwasher (type S5443) has started not wash very well. At first I thought it needed the filters cleaning, but I discovered that it was not fully filling up with water. If I added a couple of extra pints after the soap tablet clunked-in, it washes fine. The pump runs very well, with lots of swishing about inside with this extra water. Listening to the filling-up sequence, its stopping & starting - not one long fill-up. I loosened the salt-reservoir & its gets some more water, but not a full quota. Do dishwashers have a float somewhere to detect fullness or a device to measure the flow? Any pointers gratefully received Geoff Essex

Reply to
Geoff Cooper

It sounds like you may have a calcium build up in the pipes have you checked that out

Reply to
LouGrant

I'll check, but we have a water softner and we have no limescale elsewhere. It seems to be uncertain how much water to allow in. How does it know how much to put in?

Reply to
cooperman

On my Bosch ( 19 years old) you remove the lh side panel to reveal the filling tank. This consists of a labyrinth of "pipework" in fact a nylon pressing giving inlet and outlet water levels controlled by a float mechanism in the bottom half.This can get gunged up over time and stick. Mine is fairly easy to wiggle out and clean. TURN POWER OFF FIRST. ;-)

Reply to
Capt T

Thanks I'll take a look. Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Cooper

Thanks Capt T. you were spot-on. I got the Haynes Dishwasher Manual from the library, read it and waited till I had a clear day to tackle it. The float and exit pipe wire full of black/brown algae! I've seen this stuff before in the shower trap. It must be due to the softened water. It works a treat now. Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Cooper