batten or not ??

Thanks for the tips about boarding my garage ceiling...now lets tackle the walls! One is internal - will be just masonry painting the breeze style blocks Other one is external(single brick) and often shows white damp /lime or whatever it is ( like powder, but scrape it off, and its back a few days later ) Now I want to plasterboard over this wall, to help Insulation / heat loss, and of course "hide" this problematic white stuff. The wall has a couple of copper pipes running up it, and electric trunking to main consumer unit, also "rear" of elec and gas meter boxes stick out a couple of inches. I dont want to lose any more width in the garage than absoluely necessary, but would like to hide the pipes/trunking etc. The pipes and stuff protrude about 50mm from wall, so 2x1 battens (fixed edge on)would just about do it...but how do I fix em to the brickwork - would a good adhesive ( no more nails type stuff) be good, or what?? Also is there a special board ( thermal plasterboard) that I should use, and should I apply plastic membrane or similar to battens before affixing boarding to prevent this white stuff bleeding through? Is there an alternative way to do the job quicker / cheaper / simpler. TYIA

begin 666 icon_evil.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,00`$5%1?_J`````/_.`/_)`/Z=`/_]$_^T`/\\``/_^D___ MQ_XJ`/YM`Y:6EO_E`/__ZP`````````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````````"'Y! $``! `+ `````/``\\```5I( ! I&B2 MD+F8CY(D@RHRA:$81J /0\\&(-4!.1P3T``U PB @ZIJQY"T@:#Z;A()H*4!4 MJ5T!X;"E(A#$LY@LO!*_8]' 27=D1\\9K%1LK\\:PZ#@)'*$8#!(B(A"@I``>/

+!UHCC(4FDR@A`#L` ` end
Reply to
Tim

I would screw the battens to the wall, with plastic plugs in the wall, and i would use thicker battens than 2 inch, because the edge of the plasterboard needs a bit of a landing.

You will probably need some packing pieces because when you get the battens up and plumb you will probably find that the wall isnt flat!

Make sure the timber is dry, and well treated with preservative, or pre treated. Dont forget a batten to screw the top of the boards to!

You can get thermal backed plasterboard, the highest insulation value is polyurethane foam i think. This stuff is expensive, plasterboard is cheap and so are rockwool bats, or expanded polystyrene. If you use expanded polywatsits dont let it touch the electric cables. or you will have a problem later.

You can also get all sorth of thermal boards with decorative finishes if you look around.

Good luck with the project Tim

John

Reply to
John