Adhesive over pipe

Hi

Can I use plasterboard adhesive over copper pipes to cover them with plasterboard (dot n dab) after boiler relocation?

cheers

Reply to
V Man

V Man explained :

Unlikely, the plaster will crack due to movement of the pipes - expansion and contraction as they heat and cool.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
V Man

hi

Thanks for advice but Im not sure which plaster will crack? But if that the case what would be the best way to cover them pipes.

There is a block wall with dot and dabbed plasterboard. Plumber chased the plasterboard in to hide pipe in cavity between block and plasterboard.

Now I need to cover it and not sure what product to use

Reply to
V Man

Depends a bit on exactly where you are putting the adhesive. If its mainly glueing plasterboard to the surrounding plaster etc, then it should be fine. If you are gluing it just to the pipes themselves, then chances are it will break free of the pipe due to the expansion of it. Wrapping some insulation round the pipes before burial in plaster, or placing them under capping will usually save any problems since it lets them move a little even when covered up.

Reply to
John Rumm

build a free standing box clear of the pipes - uses 'sticks like shit', batten and plasterboard. Fill inside with rockwool if the pipes are noisy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much room is there between the front of the pipes and the back edge of the plasterboard? And how thick is the plasterboard. Can you post a picture and provide a link to the photo?

Reply to
alan_m

is 10mm between pipe and plasterboard and plasterboard is 12mm.

Reply to
V Man

Probably room to screw a batten behind the old plasterboard and to screw a new piece of plasterboard into the void using the battens for fixing

Similar to

alan_m

Thank you for help guys, seems like battens is way to go.

However I came across PU Plasterboard adhesive foam like Everbouild pink grip or Soudal and accordiong to their Tech Support it can be used in this case.Wont affect the pipe and can stand temperature up to 80 C.

I just wonder if anyone have experience with this kind of product ?

Reply to
V Man

ok that makes it easier... You may be able to do a patch supported by battens:

Or failing that, just pack some insulation material over the pipes and then fill with bonding plaster to just below the finished surface. Let that go off a bit, then fill flush with a light weight filler, or board fill compound.

Reply to
John Rumm

No experience with the product but if you go down that route perhaps temporarily screw some scrap pieces of wood to the front of the plasterboard patch that overlap the width of the patch so that you cannot push the patch in beyond the surface of the existing plasterboard.

While the foam is setting perhaps screw these scrap pieces of wood to the existing wall so the patch doesn't move.

Consider also that a long run of pipe may/will move when constantly cycling between cold and hot and maybe cause on medium to long term mechanical failure of the bond.

Reply to
alan_m

I made a natty pipe cover out of EPS glued with PVA and decorators caulk

Covered that with brown paper and wallpaper paste, and painted it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher