Recommendation for boxing in pipes?

Heavy-duty room refurb now ongoing. After stripping off all the old wallpaper (Christ on a bike - who puts up a 4TH layer of woodchip? And on the ceiling?) I'll be getting the whole room skim-plastered before painting the bare plaster (which is currently original 100-year-old horse-hair stuff on brick.

In one corner of the room there's a pair of 15mm copper pipes running down from above the ceiling to feed the radiator. Hitherto they've been concealed behind poxy uPVC trunking, which looked really s**te, and I want to box them in properly now to make them as unobtrusive as possible. What would be the best way to do this (unobtrusiveness being the goal)?

I could do it in timber - run a pair of thin battens down the wall either side of the pipes (I could make enough room to fit one right in the corner), and then cap these with a piece of thin plywood; then paint these with emulsion the same colour as the walls.

That said, I'm thinking a better solution might be to cap my two battens with plasterboard, then clad the remaining exposed timber of the 'outside' batten with more plasterboard, and have my plasterer skim the whole lot when he does the walls. I *think* this would look better, but the boxing would be more bulky; would that counteract the better finish?

I suppose I could also just cover the corner of the room with a diagonal plate of plasterboard, and that would be skimmed?

Or, bury all the pipework under the plaster (would also need some chasing out of brick) - would look best, but isn't burying copper CH pipes a bit of a bad idea?)

Any thoughts most welcome!

Reply to
Lobster

However you box those pipes in, you must think about getting at them if they leak or require any other maintenance - and plastering the boxing would make that more problematical. And believe me, if you don't make such an arrangement, you may come to regret it sooner rather than later.

Personally, I would use a good quality 1/2" or 3/8" plywood screwed to 2"x1" battens with brass screws with countersunk cups - and yes, if done properly and with a bit of thought, you won't even notice the boxing!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

On 17 Aug 2014, "Cash" grunted:

[...]

Well I thought I had this problem licked, but for various reasons it may now be preferable to move these pipes along to the middle of the wall instead. If I end up doing that, I *would* definitely like to bury them in the wall (it's 9" plastered brickwork; there'd be plenty of room to hack out a trench in the wall as deep and as wide as necessary) but with an eye to being able to access the pipes again later, how best to cover it over?

Has anyone ever done this? I'd definitely want the surface to be flush with the wall, and the same colour; I appreciate it would never be completely invisible of course. The wall is being skimmed later as part of the refurb, then will be painted.

Thanks!

Reply to
Lobster