Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

house alarm panic
There may have been a small power cut in your area. Any interruption to a sensitive alarm control panel can cause the sounder to activate. Did any zone show activation? Did the panel reset without...
2
2

Thermostatic Shower Issue
Yes I checked that 3 or 4 times before fitting and 3 or 4 more once I realised it was not working as expected :-) Also according to the manual, getting them the worng way round would result in either...
2
2

OT heating flush- recovering money from installer?
June 07 I had a condensing combi fitted, on the quote it included flushing and adding inhibitor with a workmanship warranty and 2 year warranty on the boiler. Im now told by the manufacturer after a...

Longer screws for switches and plug sockets
If you search for 3.5 mm electrical screws, or retaining screws, you might be able to find more hits. Have fun. :-)...
5
5

Polypipe waste sizes
Another problem with the shower I am trying to fit.. The old waste and P trap is 1 =BE=94. The new waste I bought is 1=94 shorter than the old so I need a new P trap but it looks as if 1 =BE=94 is no...
1
1

Correct way to fit a shower waste
Fitting a new shower tray. This is probably a dumb question but that last shower leaked. The waste I bought from plumb world has a plastic nut and a rubber washer. Am I right in thinking that I fit...
2
2

Shower leaking
Is it possible there is movement of the surfaces which hold the sealant? That is the usual reason for sealant failing. If so, it would be worth trying clear acrylic sanitary sealant preferably...
2
2

Unvented Boilers
To clarify the above post my original post to read:- We live in a building that was originally a hotel before being converted into flats. We still have the original heating system powered by boilers...
3
3

Condensing Combi on a 3 Storey House - Good Idea?
FWIW my local council (Fife) has been busy installing the Worcester Greenstar 30Si in all its 3 bed council houses during the last month or so. From an engineering point of view, these are apparently...
2
2

Self closing soft closing door mechansims
I own/let a flat, in block of four, with a front door entrance that some residents slam and need to find a solution for self closing and one that doesn't slam to as it is not good for the door...
1
1

Charger for B & D Cordless Drill 14.4V
update- the 14v set is £99.98, the 18V includes 2 batteries, strangely neither are on their website but there is 14V De Walt is at £94.94 (B&D!)
2
2

Any carpet fitters on here, need your expert advice
I can't see why.
2
2

Shower door lubrication?
Mike, Is there any adjusting mechanisms on the door to lift it off the bottom guide rail. Cash
2
2

How do I get a better finish on this work top edge
You can get a small plastic tool that has an internal angle and a blade fitted for doing this. Otherwise a plane can be used but be careful. HTH Danny
1
1

Neon locators and low energy lightbulbs
A known problem with some Philips lamps, change for a newer one and return to your supplier for replacement. Peter
1
1