Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Flashing Question
We are in the process of building a new home and our General Contractor has run away with our money. We are trying to move the construction forward ourselves and have run into a snag. In addition to...
12
12

satellite distribution systems in flats (UK interest only)
just put an article about satellite distribution systems on my website. It's in three parts, all of which have links from the top of the main 'articles' page. It might be of interest to...

garage footings and stem walls
i am about to begin construction of a new garage. my plans call out for footing/stem wall construction. i have never done any foundation work before, but i'd like to do the forming/steel work...
9
9

Home Builder Reducing prices
What should you do when your home builder starts reducing prices and adding incentives to houses after you've already bought? We close on our house August 22nd, and the builder is now offering an...
54
54

Deck Lighting
We are in the final stages of deck construction and are now looking at lighting. We are considering rope lighting installed into a channel routered out of the lower railing. I would route out a 1/2...
6
6

Landscape Lighting for Big Trees
Reposting from as no responses there. .... We are considering putting lighting in some large trees (40'tall and 60' width) in our yard. We live in Tulsa, OK if that matters. I am working on...
12
12

Sound insulation
I have range hood over gas range. There is wall mounted exterior blower and 8" diameter flex aluminum duct that connects from the blower to the hood. The hood and duct are concealed inside custom...
21
21

Doors (all in)
Has nyone used Dooria (see ) Doors? or is there anything similar available? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for. How are these comparable to Solid Wood doors? Have not decided whterh we want to...

Lightning Protection System for a Home Circuit Breaker Panel
Hello, Anyone have any good advice on having a lightning protection system installed on a home circuit breaker panel? Is it worth the money and how good does it really work? Thanks for any advice,...
33
33

How to remove concrete from vinyl garage door?
I just recently had my driveway replaced with a concrete one. While pouring the concrete, the contractors splashed spots of concrete all over my garage door. The spots are about 1/4 inch to 1/2 an...
30
30

Wet Basement
Hello from Pa: What is the best way to make a basement dry? Is the B-Dry Co. all they say they are, or is NationDry better? My nwly purchased house is a little over 20 years old. One corner probably...
12
12

Counter-sinking lag bolts
If it is pressure treated, I think you have to use some sort of mask when drilling. I know you do when sawing. Arsenic, poison, lungs. I may be missing something, but you know the coutersink hole is...
66
66

Foundation Too Low on a New Home
Sounds to me like 10' walls might even be better especially since the back basement is exposed. If it is a problem, and the slab hasn't been poured yet can you just backfill with more rock to the...
21
21

Granite countertop
You will probably see the biggest price range in the color choice. Typically, the colors are in "Levels". Around here, Level I colors are around $48/sq. ft. from a stone subcontractor (no Home Depot...
9
9

suspended ceiling and ceramic tile floor links please
what gives. Are you giving me the business?
12
12