Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Attaching window and door trim in bath
I have fully tiled bath. I need to attach wood trim around window and door. The trim is solid pine stained and polyurethaned three times. What's the best way to attach it? I obviously cannot nail the...
3
3

max power for a bathroom fan?
I have a little bathroom, I want to have the most powerful fan in there that I can, without obviously overdoing it - like having a lot of wind in there! I'd put an inline fan in the attic. I'm not...
21
21

fanpower needed to cool house overnight
And in this situation, you run the risk of back venting furnaces, water heaters and any other vented devices in the house, which is a very bad thing.
96
96

Bostitch MKII or CY nailer?
I'm interested in buying the staples. They are staples right? I've got a Bostitch day and need the staples for it . Let me know if you still have them and what you would like for them plus shipping to...
3
3

Question on attic ventilation
Hi All, I have a question on attic ventilation. We just fired up the air conditioner in the new home and nothing. I'll cut to the chase and say that I think much of the problem if not all is...
15
15

Getting Three Estimates from Contractors
Many Home repair/renovation-advice TV segments, government pamphlets, web pages, newsgroup postings, and so on, advocate that the homeowner get three (I've even seen recommendations for more)...
39
39

Advice on a concrete soak away
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about what we (USAns) call a "dry well", where waste 'grey water' is dumped. Grey water is from everything but toilets. I have a perforated concrete dry...
12
12

Outside stairs and safety
I'm not sure if this is really an appropriate question for here, but I'd be grateful of advice! There's a flight of external stairs that people have tended to fall over on over the years. I've...

Tracking hot wires inside walls
Is there relaible device that can track hot 110V wires inside sheetrocked walls? Where can I get it?
33
33

Utility Knife
sounds to me that you are not using common sense in the use of the tool??? -- Phil Scott Ideas are bullet proof. tool table out a Or my That stanley jobbie is dangerous for sure... the handle might be...
6
6

Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)
I had the fire chief in my town tell me it's because the room is warm and above the smoke detector is cold. My detectors are hard wired to the ceiling. He told me to unscrew them and let them hang...
5
5

Powered crimping tool equivalent to COPALUM tool
john weaver had written this in response to : Harry Email me at if you have any questions on Copalum or termination methodology All, you should all know that in this business, you do get what you pay...
18
18

[OT] driveline stuck on tractor pto shaft
I've worn out my rawhide mallet so I quit hammering on the pto coupling after the first couple of weeks. Now, everytime I finish mowing I squirt some more WD40 into the coupling--just on the off...
9
9

Vinyl tile install
Can vinyl tile be installed in a house with no heat ? Our utility trench is not yet finished so no gas (long story) They have space heaters though and it'll be around 50-60 degrees during the day. I...
3
3

a deck with 4' overhanging from the post
Hi, I am trying to run an idea here to see if it is possible to build a backyard deck with a 4' overhang outward from the outer posts. I like a 4' overhang outward because I don't like to have another...
9
9