Tiling down a hall with a patterned tile

I was contemplating tiling my kitchen, dining and hall with a tile that has a slight pattern of lines running through it.

For it to look right, should I be tiling so that the lines on the tile run the same way as the hall or vice versa, or does it really not matter???

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16502 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mr_climb

I will be tiling my kitchen, dining room and hall with a patterned tile that has a slight line running through it only one way.

For it to look right, should I be tiling down the hall with the lines running the same way as the hall or vice versa, or does it not matter at all???

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16502 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mr_climb

The direction of the pattern is a personal preference. I would be more concerned about how it looks in the kitchen and dining room, though. No one spends much time in the hall. This assumes you install it running the same direction in all three areas.

Do you have the tile yet? Lay some out dry both ways and see which you like better.

Reply to
SteveBell

It's what appeals to you. Some people would alternate each tile and make a checkerboard pattern. Having the tile run in the same direction would be a common way of doing it, but it depends on the configuration of the rooms - what might look good in one room, might look odd in another. The tile "grain" running the long way in the main rooms would look totally different if the grain ran the short way in the hallway.

Lay out some tile and make the decision that way.

RicodJour

Reply to
jloomis

Reply to