Plumbing Question: Shower Escutcheon Removal

A friend asked me to take a look at their shower valve. He said it's sticking and hard to operate. He was right.

Thinking I'd just replace a cartridge for him, discovered that I couldn't unscrew the escutcheon. Don't know whether or not you can see it in the photo but looks like previous homeowner had tried to remove it. I see a couple of cracks around the edge where they used vice grips or some such. I didn't spend more than a couple minutes on it but tried both a strap wrench and channel locks to no avail. Didn't have time to get into a valve replacement if I twisted something loose. Told him I do have a couple of hours tomorrow and would have another go. Dishwasher's on the back side so I can cut a hole for replacement, if things get ugly.

You plumbers have any tricks to removing these things when they're frozen on?

Thanks.

Scott Dudley

Whats the "brand" of the device ? Is there a name or logo on the handle or shower-head ? I'd look up their website and see if there were any hints on how to get the thing off..(screw off ..pry off or WHY)

Reply to
Rudy

No print or identification of any kind. That's what I was hoping for too.

Reply to
scott