Limestone Bullnose

I need to put a bullnose on some rectangular (2 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 8') limestone which are being used as treads on an exterior staircase. Does anyone know of a tool or method which could do this ?

Thanks, Curt

Reply to
crhras

The stonecutters/shapers use industrial diamond tooling...ain't cheap but if you're doing more than one it would undoubtedly pay. Carbide _can_ serve in a pinch, but it'll eat it up in a hurry for anything of any size.

You might find it cheaper if you're in a large metro area to find a stone supplier to do the shaping operation for you. If it's relatively a small operation it's also possible a monument (as in gravestones) supplier would be willing to do it for you.

Reply to
dpb

If you have not picked the steps up, then have the supplier do it for you.

Reply to
Bill

Excellent !! Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
crhras

The supplier said that it would take 4 weeks to get the bullnose done. I can pick up the rectangular limestone today.

Reply to
crhras

That tells me, they ship it to get it done. Might ask them where they take it. Take it yourself. Or, ask who else can do it. Unless you are doing this allot, the tools are expensive.

Reply to
Bill

call the nearest quarry & ask them if they know anyone that does it

Reply to
longshot

if you cannot find a vendor to do this for you in a timely manner

this link might provide a lead to a supplier of the correct type of router bits

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

shoulda checked the link before I posted

this one works

bits are rather pricey but they are the way to do the job

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Call a Granite/ Marble mason (someone who does Granite/ Mable kitchen countertops) they have the tools and will be less exspensive/ quicker than the quarry doing it.

crhras wrote:

Reply to
Italian

Thanks again for everyone's help.

FYI, I ordered a bit from Abrasive Technologies for $100 and bullnosed the limestone myself. It worked well and took about 1 day to do 80 linear feet. Got the limestone installed in 2 days and probably saved around $200 altogether.

Thanks again. Wouldn't have thought it could be done without your help.

Reply to
crhras

Glad it worked out for you, but saying you saved $200 is a bit misleading. A day of work routing the bullnose and a couple or three hours of research is certainly worth more than $200. On the bright side, you now have the router bit for other projects.

RicodJour

Reply to
crhras

Reply to