How to trim widows with arch (semi-circle) top?

North America, one of the big attractions for the girls' parents is exactly that:

same girls you saw 30 years ago. Take a look at the roster of our junior team:

Most of them are quite accomplished.

hockey league in the world, and we happen to live dead-center in it. The participation rate for girls is exploding but has been limited by the availability of ice time, as boys' clubs have their ice contracts grandfathered since the dawn of time. Girls have to wait for new ice to be built, which is not too much longer for my daughter's club:

)

Small world, I had a daughter who was 14, 20 years ago, it's time to start worrying. I worked at 666 the Queensway servicing antenna's before cable, good enough money but dead-end. Also wired hockey rinks PA systems, I loved height. Good Luck Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

"Warm Worm" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Top posting the general statements...

Re: "free" -

When you pay someone for services, you're paying both for their time, and for the years of study and experinece it took them to get into a position where they have the knowledge (or whatever) that the requester seeks.

Any advice, suggestions, tips, instructions, recommendations, and so on, that *any* professionals offer, is purely at *their* discretion, *their* choice.

In my experience, 99.9% of the time, once one gives out freebies (whether it be advise, samples, coupons, or whatever), the recipients end up just taking it for granted. IMO that is what lies behind someone getting all resentful and cranky when someone declines giving out a freebie. Most recipients begin to think they are somehow "owed" the freebie. And eventually treat the giver as someone who is "supposed" to be at their "i.e. the recipient-wannabes) beck and cdall.

I've had that happen to me time and time and time again, over and over and over. The vast majority of the time, poeple just end up taking advantage and then, eventually and, in my experience inevitably,

*undervaluing* whe one has been giving, and place higher value on what they'd paid for.

Yup. IOW, true professionals understands that their time and resources (such as personal energy) are limited, and chooses when to decline requests for freebies (a.k.a. handouts).

As above, it takes time and education and personal application and the sacrifice of other things, for a person to achieve a certain level of expertise, and for some professions, it is far longer than it is for others. In essence, there is no such thing as something being "virtually free for them". If nothing else, they still have to take time and energy away from something else in order to hand out freebies.

Anything that *anyone* gives gratis is at *their own discretion*. Nobody "owes" anyone else anything. Yes, rationally, a general attitude of give-and-take makes things go more smoothly for everyone, but when a particular interaction is all about one person doing all the giving and the other doinbg the taking, the taker is a supplecant and has no right whatsoever to simply *expect* any/all *demands* to be met/fulfilled.

Any tiome anyone posts a question here regarding archetecture/building, and someone answers, it is at *their* discretion, it is *their* choice, and personally ,I appreciate it a lot, especially so because I don't see that I have much of anything to offer back in exchange. I think it is greatly generous when peoiple answer my questions.

But to DEMAND answers/advice, and *then*, to add insult to injury by impugning somepne's professionalism merely because they chose to decline giving away gratis their knowledge and/or experience? If someone did that to me, implies I'm "unprofessional" merely because I did give away my knowledge for free? Well, the word for that is, "killfile". I have nothing to do with people like that.

ANd if I recall, this is not the first time "warm worm" has impugned someone's professionalism for trivial so-called "reasons". IIRC, that includes mine...

Horse-hockey. The pro would still charge for parts and labor. THe time he spent fixing your fuse might have been put, after all, towards a big and expensive job he'd make good money doing. It's at best sheer egotism to *expect* someone do "prove" their professionalism by doing stuff for free.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Nonsense, been posting to this group for 3 years, both of them fella's I'd gladly have into my home for dinner and brews. I regard them as friends. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Calm yourself.

It's not *our* team, it's our *club's junior* team. The info I gave is available on my site, and the "little one", who's bigger than most men, understands angular momentum pretty well....hehe...I'm already prepared for the call from the her new high school's office if/when she gets to demonstrate that fact to the presumptuous...

I'm new to the group, and while some of the natives might reply with a bit more bellicosity than I would to some posters, they've been friendly and respectful to me. I understand their stance however, coming from a 'warrior culture' myself.

(See

)

I'll try to treat everyone with respect and I probably won't be perceived as trying to get free anything out of anyone, which pisses off a lot of people. For me newsgroups are a give-and-take operation. I always use my real name on newsgroups, and conduct myself accordingly.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

See response in alt.architecture.

href="news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com">news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

href="news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com">news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...>>

href="

">
> click on a player. Most of them are quite

href="

">

href="

">

Michael Bulatovich

"Glenn" wrote in news:ehk8h.19022$fh.11223 @tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Kind of like the old "train wreck" analogy, perhaps...?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You mean I shouldn't have spent the last 14 years worrying?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

That's just practice. The $1,000 for wedding pix will be a relief, when you say "is that all" (gulp). There will be interesting stuff between now and then. ((Actually we're lucky we regard our daughter and spouse and their daughter as best friends)). Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Thanks for the kind words, Ken. About those libations...if you're not going to be wearing pants, there's no way I'm letting you get me drunk. =:O

RicodJour

)

Ummm...if I said which four nations, would that give you a clue? ;)

That's very cool about your kids' league. I understand, to a point, the incidental contact thing - it's similar in women's lacrosse here. It makes it a very different sport than what the guys' play. Do they still wear all of that body armor?

It was interesting to see that some of the girls had aspirations of getting a hockey scholarship to a college in the US. Is that a common aspiration for college-bound kids in Canada? That's one of the things about the Canadian/USA-ian schism. You have the provinces, and we act provincial. I don't think I've ever heard a kid say they wanted to go to college overseas or over a border or even through the woods. Usually it's I want to go to Italy for junior year abroad.

I was also pleased to see that they included the grade point averages on the roster bios. It helps to keep things in perspective and let the kids know that all of the stuff matters, not just sports.

That hockey stick you mentioned you were thinking of getting your daughter - I have no idea what they cost, but I know from my high school days and from my hockey puck friends back then that it's an _expensive_ sport. Particularly if the little buggers insist on growing. Maybe it would be cheaper to just give her your credit card and send her to the mall...? "Don't bankrupt Daddy, dear. Home by ten. Kisses!" ;)

RicodJour

If you re-read it and/or go back in the thread, you may realize that who you're apparently agreeing with is Warm Worm not Sasquatch... It might also conveniently support my previous mention of electronic information accuracy, to say nothing of subjective interpretation accuracy. :)

That's a big if, and even if, your recollection may be in error.

"Fool yourself twice, double shame on you." ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

I like John, and you and Don, and have been in my share of internet squabbles, shit happens. But when John typed "death threats" I think he's exceeded the 1st amendment by what he implied. He should produce the evidence, or apologize, cuz that's a very serious - slanderous - accusation. Flamelessly Yours, Ken PS: I think you'll need a chaperone, so I feel safe!

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

I second Ken's sentiments of course with a BYOB qualification. ;)

As for the pants comment, that could freak John out a little too much and feed into his concerns about the NG in general. LOL

And I think his apparent libel probably has more to do with being a little flame-broiled is all. While Don might like a good BBQ, I doubt he's a cannibal. ;D

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Sasquatch" wrote I've been

Lying bastard.

Reply to
Don

Same here, cept he can yank his britches if he wants, its his home. I however will keep mines on. heh

Squashedsack is showing everyone what he's really all about. Now we all know why he's not getting along with his *architect* and contractor.

Reply to
Don

Oh yes. There are still boards, and sticks, and pucks (not to mention the 2 minute minors for body checking, roughing, slashing etc). The game *is* quite different as a result, though. You have to skate better, and you have to play better positionally because you can't use an easy body check to break up a play. However, like with the guys, if you skate around with your head down-POW. (Even if it is an accident, you can still get shaken up. My kid recently got 2 minutes for flattening a smaller girl who skated into her at full speed with her head down. It was quite a collision. No injuries, though.)

: )

The american schools have the money for full scholarships, so that's where the girls aim. Plus, if you're *really good*, you can go to an "ivy league" school for free and impress everyone with your credentials for the rest of your working life.

That's why I included the link. The demographic of girls hockey versus boys is dramatic. The parents of the girls have more education, and generally make more money. The girls themselves are often great students and role models for younger kids. We were at a family dinner a while back and the high-powered NYC lawyer wing of the family flew into town for it. They were all thrilled that we were into it, and they credited much of their corporate success on having played themselves when they were young. Especially the women. They said it taught them compete as part of a team. (Women are traditionally encourage to play individual sports in North America.)

Amen. A cheap one-piece composite is about $80 CDN, and a really choice one is $300-450. That's just the stick. My girl shattered a $170 two-piece composite a month ago. Now we're chewing up the cheaper one-piecers. They are getting cheaper and better because of the scale of production.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I'm getting along with them just fine. The only problems I'm having are caused by mentally ill unemployeed dudes harrassing me in Usenet discussion groups.

- John

Reply to
Sasquatch

There have been at least two such comments in the past, including, most recently, the comment in which you said, "You have the lifespan of a TV commercial." What does that even mean? My life's going to be cut short? Do you know something I don't, psycho? ...or is that just incoherent schizo babble that I should just ignore? Another comment several weeks ago was even more direct and threatening. And the other claims are not disputed. (i.e. e-mailed directly at my home address, followed to unrelated newsgroups and harassed.) Face it. You're an Internet stalker and a psychopath. That's what you are. Deal with it. I know those are harsh words, but sometimes the truth is pretty painful, and if you look at the previous threads you'll find that I have never had a harsh word to say to anyone until after repeated unprovoked attacks.

I've forwarded your previous posts. Who knows? Maybe they'll dedicate a special edition of Dateline just for you, right after the part where they arrest the dudes stalking 13-year-old girls. So, when you hear in the media about all the terrible predatory activity that takes place on the Internet, they're talking about you, psycho!

- John

Reply to
Sasquatch

Screw that! I'm going to Ken's, pants or no.

{pay for my own drinks, hah! who does this guy think he is?!} < muttering to myself

Actually we should all convince Bob Morrison to retire and buy another bar. We need an experienced gaffer. I was thinking something along the lines of Callahan&#39;s Saloon.

RicodJour

Ummm, not around here (NY). The girls play basketball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, like that. It&#39;s much less common, rather than the rule, for girls to be involved in individual sports. It may have to do with available space and time.

$400 for a STICK?! You&#39;re not buying them from US defense contractors by any chance, are you?

Dude, you&#39;d better count on that scholarship and start billing clients per minute for the phone calls.

RicodJour