Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Thinset mortar bed thickness
Hi, I'm refacing my brick fireplace with tile and part of the project involves tileing the hearth area in front of ( approx 5' x 2'). The hearth had set on a concrete slab and was raised 3...
2
2

Rafter ties (metal straps)
Here is a question I get asked alot, and I am not sure of the answer. We build houses in High Wind Zones often, largely on the Jersey shore. We frequently need to strap the peaks and the rafters to...
26
26

Digging out crawl space - Power tools?
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work. Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will...
78
78

Steel Structure
Am designing a steel structure. Need a bit of help from someone in the know. Jim Ball
10
10

Rewiring a Hardwired Smoke Detector WITH THE POWER ON
I have a hardwired smoke detector that is old and outdated, that I'd like to switch with a new unit. The only problem is that I can't shut off the power to the alarm before I disconnect it and...
8
8

how can I find best publications for press release for builders?
I am releasing a new online software for builders regarding blueprints. Which journal or magazines do you read that you think would be best suited for me to advertise in? Many thanks?
2
2

Window soundproofing
I'm constructing a room in the crawl space of my house, that will be used in part for a home theather, and I want to make it as soundproof as possible. This room will have one 5040 window. Home...
16
16

Real Architect 2008 compatible with AutoCAD LT2000 through LT2009
Real Architect 2008 Real Architect 2008 is a complete 2D architectural drafting program that works with AutoCAD LT as well as full AutoCAD. The retail price is $89.00, with upgrades from previous...

Bathroom design
Have you ever come accross a separate His and Hers main bathroom and what is your opinion on this concept?
28
28

Miter Saw from harbor freight ?
Anyone here ever used this sliding miter saw from harbour freight ? Any good ? James Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the...
58
58

Laying a brick walkway
I've put down sand prior to laying the first red brick of a walkway to the front door. I've got 2-3 inches of sand simply because this brings the level up to the bottom of the steps to the...
4
4

Sealant --- BEST QUALITY
I have had my tiling completed a few weeks ago in our Wet Room as well as another shower Room. I have had problems with sealant either going off coulour or not providing suitable adhesion before. Our...

Toilet on a slab grade
I'm putting in an extension with a floating concrete slab and am wondering about plumbing a toilet and wondering about setting it right on the slab. The line will run out to a septic system and...
6
6

Construction Mangement in the Middle East
Has anyone here ever managed a construction project in the middle east? In the UAE who is the authority having jurisdiction over building? I heard that everything over there is lump sum and there is...

New Land Listing Site
Land Sellers & Real Estate Agents Land Incorporated - A New Land Listing Website Land - Farms - Ranches - Timberland - Homes with acreage - Mountain View & Waterfront Homes - Lots Property Description...