Test and question

Hi All sort of a semi new lurker here - I hadn't been on newsgroups for a long time - but I have subscribed to a few - in a large variety of subject but I am so surprised to find that no matter what the subject even Home Cleaning - that there is so much bickering and back biting here over simple issues? Is there something I missed? Some change??? It almost makes a lurker not want to post?

Just a Question I guess

Jen

Kind words are brief

Reply to
tbaywife

I've thought about how people who can't see and will probably never meet, have treated each other. Just my opinon, but some of it is just that, they don't have the same social consequences of face to face. Another, may be time. Those with more time to read and respond, may replace some of their "life" online. Anyone have other ideas of why this happens? I couldn't probably think of more, but have other things to do.

Just a Question I guess

Jen

Kind words are brief -- But their echo resonates forever

Reply to
newsgroup

Just a Question I guess

Jen

Kind words are brief -- But their echo resonates forever

------------------------------------ That's the nature of Usenet. Your message criticizing the culture of the newsgroup is no different that the very messages that you are objecting to. It is like going to a foreign country and telling people you don't like the way they act. Many people find newsgroups objectionable and move on to other types of forums. May I suggest you look for moderated groups where there is no controversy. As you have learned, nearly all groups are contentious and your admonition is not going to change things here or elsewhere.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Generally, Usenet is Not for the faint of heart. Most, if not all, news groups are made up of folks from both ends of the spectrum: the most vile and the cream of the crop. And everywhere in between. With time and practice, you can pick out the folks worth listening to, and the folks that have to be filtered out.

Usenet is a wonderful place to reveal one's real self--or the self one wishes to be perceived as. Heck, you can even have a different personality for each news group you subscribe to! Oops: some of us can! LOL

Oh, I hope you aren't mistaking "bickering" for hot debate.

Now stop sniveling, and have fun! :-)

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

I liked this response. May I repeat it in other newsgroups as the situation dictates?

This comes up from time to time in just about every newsgroup that is not moderated, and similar versions for the moderated groups. Good answer.

Reply to
Rick Rider