Re: Test for Gene

Nope, I never saw the original message, just this reply.

ooh pretty!

ok, so i never saw the orginal message on google/dejanews, but i went over to newzbot and despite it saying "cannot extract file" or some such, it showed the post and the picture. and the qualification is that i'm on a PC; things might change if i tried looking at newzbot on the mac. but then, on the mac, i use gignews and mtnewswatcher, so this is all moot....

--j_a

Reply to
jankey

Odd that I could see it but others could not. I guess some ISPs strip images. Given that AT&T has ended the alt.binaries groups, you'd think that the company would be among those stripping them.

Back to the old drawing board. I guess I'm going to have to relent and get Giganews.

Diana

ooh pretty!

ok, so i never saw the orginal message on google/dejanews, but i went over to newzbot and despite it saying "cannot extract file" or some such, it showed the post and the picture. and the qualification is that i'm on a PC; things might change if i tried looking at newzbot on the mac. but then, on the mac, i use gignews and mtnewswatcher, so this is all moot....

--j_a

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Diana: No pic here, on rgo, but I still get abpo, with Comcast for my ISP.

At the risk of sounding like Mick <G> -- there seems to be a major proliferation of places where one can post pics for free, I run across them all the time. So what's wrong with doing that and then posting links here, which works for everyone (including any who may actually still be on dial-up -- it does still exist)?

Kenni

Reply to
Kenni Judd

I'm with Kenni. get a flikr account and post links.

K Barrett

Since we've had the rug pulled out from under us and no way of fixing it, we need to look for alternate solutions.

  1. Some foresighted member can make a new site so we can talk and post as we have in the past This would take time and money. I don't think most of us would mind contributing to a good cause.
  2. We all upload to our favorite picture site and post links to rec.orchids which will probably be gone in a year or so and we'll be right back where we were. Let's face it. All these do-good things the Big-ISPs do is feel-good comunnity contribution and really doesn't make them any money or get them any good press.
  3. We can all hope Kye is a step ahead of us and things will be fine in a week to so. It takes a lot of time to put one of these together. Oh, and did I say money?
  4. If we continue to not hear from Kye, we can all kiss each other on the cheek and say "Nice knowing you. See you sometime soon." Is there someone with the experience willing to put a site together with community support? Gary
Reply to
v_coerulea

In order:

  1. Chris has mentioned the possibility of a new site. But do we really need it?

  1. The *post elsewhere and link here* option is a good idea and has been mentioned several times.

  2. I have faith in Kye. And he does have a *real job*, so I'm willing to wait.

  1. Kiss each other goodbye? Lousy option, IMNSHO. There is too much to be learned and enjoyed in a community that has cohesed as we have.

  2. A fifth option is to join one of the other orchid sites. I'm forgetting the name of the site now, but there is one run by someone called Marty, I believe. I have gone there rarely.

For the time being, I vote for option #2. If it ever stops raining here I'll take some pictures and start posting.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Well I haven't been affected yet, with Cox, guess it's just a matter of time. I still think this is a greediness for the not so almighty dollar! Gary have you noticed anyone in your other NewsGroups that have mentioned this or been affected? I have two other alt.binaries groups & there has been no mention of it that I am aware of.

I will wait for Kye he will come through and in the mean time we can still chat here. Cheers Wendy

Reply to
Wendy7

Wendy, if you are still getting to the binaries groups that's great. As for your other two groups, how would you know if someone got knocked off? The reason we all know what's going on and who has been affected is that we have two groups, and all of us can still get to rgo.

Yeesh, it feels like we're in the French Resistance or something!

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Yes, Wendy, all the alt.binary Newsgroups are gone. It wasn't selective on abpo. The rec.gardens newsgroups are fine. So when Cox decides to join the pack all the abp newsgroups will disappear. Gary

Reply to
v_coerulea
1&3 may actually be the same thing. If Kye "fixes" things, it won't be on abpo. I believe it will have to be in the form of a new web site kind of in the format of some of the many "forums" now online. I believe #2 is a good idea as a temporary solution but it's too tentative. One of these days rec.gardens.orchids will disappear the same way abpo did and where will we be then? One of us will have to act as a central posting site and then we're back to #1. I agree with you on #4. I was just being a bit glum thinking about this whole thing, like you, having had the rug pulling out from under me. I came into the group while Kye was still posting a couple of years ago. Recently he's been inactive which brings out the pessimism in me. Some of the newsfeeds like Motzarella which feeds all newsgroups or an English site the feeds just gardening newsgoups (.rec and .alt groups) are viable alternatives. You have to get used to new formats but they work just like bellsouth newsfeeds did (do). It's not the site that makes the group, it's the people. So no matter how you get to the newsgroups we can still be the community we are now. We just all have to get there. The ISPs have just broken up our way to the meetingplace, not the meetingplace..If someone finds the "best" way please let us all know. Gary
Reply to
v_coerulea

Gary,

I am still here and working actively on this issue, but am having to pull a large amount of overtime right now to get keep things rolling....

And no, my solution will be a newsgroup based solution.

Kye.

Reply to
BIO-Dex Consulting

And a dog called Blue..........

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

I'm not fond of the "post a link" option.

Most picture-posting sites are rather cludgy to move around in, and as they require that you load a browser to view them while attempting to have your discussion here, are FAR less convenient.

As far as another site that allows both, you'd have to find one that allows uploads. Most forums require the URL of a photo in order to view it, which is better than posting a link, but is an extra step, therefore a hurdle. The Orchid Source forum is one site that does allow uploads, but storing photos takes up room, so becomes expensive, and while it may be voluntary, regular participants SHOULD contribute.

Reply to
Ray B

Thank you so much for clearing up all my speculation, fears, and turmoil caused by my reation to this latest ploy of the big ISPs to cast off any of the time, energy, and responsibility spent on supplying customer interaction which doesn't build cash assets. I should have listened to those who knew you better than I did. Since you have been involved in your real job which is obviously more important it kept you from posting here. I was trying to be more proactive in the absence of information from you and others. I wish you had just dropped a public note earlier and I would have been more than content to let you handle things. I didn't even think of Ray's idea of an nntp server handling a single newsgroup. Anyway, thanks for everything. God bless. Gary

Reply to
v_coerulea