gas heater and light

Is there a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning if you use something like a calor gas freestanding heater and a bullfinch gas handilight (gas mantle light) in a shed?

TIA

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

The message from Cuprager contains these words:

How draughty is your shed?

Reply to
Guy King

Not very... I have 'fixed' all of the draughty bits :~)

Reply to
Cuprager

Some. Not great

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from Cuprager contains these words:

Then you're on a sticky wicket!

Gas hobs manage OK, but they're required to have least a 4" square opening to allow air in, and kitchens are often bigger than sheds and have the doors open more often.

Reply to
Guy King

|Is there a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning if you use something like |a calor gas freestanding heater and a bullfinch gas handilight (gas |mantle light) in a shed?

If the heater has a **BLUE** flame and if the mantle is OK and a **BLUE* flame underneath no risk at all. If either has a **YELLOW** flame get it serviced.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Hard to tell with a lamp with a mantle.

Reply to
Guy King

Cold be wrong but I though that burning butane & propane only produced carbon dioxide and water vapour not carbon monoxide as most people use the free standing heaters in rooms with limited ventilation!

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Ultimately if the oxygen level goes down to a low enough figure, CO will be produced.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...and immediately if the burner is faulty.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from "TMC" contains these words:

Nope, any carbon-based fuel /can/ produce CO if burnt with too little O2.

Reply to
Guy King

|The message |from Dave Fawthrop contains these words: | |> If the heater has a **BLUE** flame and if the mantle is OK and a **BLUE* |> flame underneath no risk at all. If either has a **YELLOW** flame get it |> serviced. | |Hard to tell with a lamp with a mantle.

The life of mantles on LPG lights is very short, there is usually a hole through which you can see the flame. When you change the mantle it id a simple matter to look at the colour of the flame.

I speak from experience :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Any recent calor heater will have a sensor to shut itself off if oxygen gets too low.

However a gas light will continue to burn and use up remaining oxygen until it generates CO.

So it's best to have an electronic CO detector/alarm, in case you don't notice the fire has gone out as the oxygen is depleting.

I had a not-too-clued neighbour who put a calor heater in his tiny shower room to warm it up and wondered why it kept going out!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C