Carbon monoxide

I have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the alarm has gone off a couple of times. I know the boiler is an old one but, just off the top of your head, could it be anything simple to fix? (The flame doesn't burn yellow by the way). At the moment I really can't afford to have a new boiler fitted.

Also had a look at boilers in B&Q but how on earth do you know which kind to get?

Reply to
Dee

Good chance the problem is easy to fix and dangerous to ignore. Not sure about the UK but in the States a call to the gas utility will quickly bring a technician to do a carbon monoxide test at no charge.

Play it safe.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

Check carefully along the flue. Look for any rusted holes or gaps in the chimney pipe or anything that dosen't look right (missing sheet metal screw). Check for obstruction at the top of the flue pipe on the roof. Check the draft by holding something smokey near the fire box and see that it is sucked in and up the flue.

Reply to
PipeDown

In addition to the other suggestions, you have to make sure that the room (that the boiler is in) has a good supply of combustion air. A boiler in a small closed room will quickly use up the oxygen, and the flame will get long & yellow at that point.

Also, you might want to get a second opinion by getting a second CO detector.

In any event, it's something to deal with quickly. If it were my house I wouldn't fire the boiler until it was resolved.

Reply to
steve

That model of boiler has an internal flue and is room sealed. the cupboard should have ventilation to keep the boiler from getting too hot. The common cause of the problem you have is that the seals have either perished or the case has warped. The age of the boiler must be in excess of 20 years and therefore is obsolete on alot of the parts. You should call a competent person to repair the boiler before somebody's health could be at risk.

The boilers in B&Q are not too bad but i would recommend a biasi. It will now have to be a condensing boiler too and be installed by a corgi registered engineer. The biasi boiler was designed by ideal boilers and is made in italy if i remember right. Ideal also sell the same boilers under the model name mini c.

Phil Smith

Reply to
Milkman