Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

Reply to
Freckles

Not unless you are still driving that 1967 Impala.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

No, that would just wreck the sensor.

If you *must* have a real test, buy a test kit like "Detectagas", for about $20.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

The instructions on mine mentioned using a candle or a cigarette. The level won't trigger the alarm but it will display on the readout. There is actually a warning to properly extinguish the cigrarette after the test or it might burn you. Duh.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

So you don't damage the equipment, I'm guessing you should follow the directions that came with the detector. I've only noticed that they require a test button to be be pressed.

tom @

LayPerson Tom

They should be good for 5-10 years. I replace mine at five years. Well actually I do a monkey move up. The oldest one moves to the trash and the newest on goes right outside the bedrooms with the next newest moving downstairs. I buy one every five years. I have three years to go.

One has a digital readout. I could bring it down around the furnace - water heater and I could get a very low reading, but not enough to set it off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's probably intended for people who don't smoke.

So they don't know how cigarettes work.

Reply to
mm

hold it a few feet away from your lawnmower's exhaust. If you car is working properly, there will not be significant CO output. Small engines drive them wild.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If I turn on my gas logs without opening the fireplace damper, the CO alarm will sound.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd