East Indian Aroma

Thank you for your replies....

I figure the degreasing of our maple cabinetry won't be so bad, with the products you all recommended. We'll get to work on that one.

However, I'm now a little tentative about the distinct aroma left from this East Indian family. In addition to the duct cleaning work, we're having our painter repair some cosmetic damage to the interior of the walls (i.e. holes and dents in drywall); then his painting crew will TSP the walls; then primer the walls; and then paint based on the colors of our choice. Like I said in my earlier post, we will replacing the carpeting - currently it's a shag look, cut berber along the stairs and the entire second level of the home. We will replacing the carpet with new nylon berber. The lower level of the house has a combination of wood laminate, ceramic tile, and hardwood floors that we're installing. I'm hoping the aroma from the Indian spices will go away, but just don't know how long. Any more information you can provide on the "ozone generator?" Do you know of anyone who has used it before, and is it really effective?

Please keep in mind, I hope I don't sound like I'm offending the East Indian culture. In my own experience, East Indian food and delicacies are quite delicious. However, it's a very cultured ethnicity that I'm not used to or much aware of, and would much rather leave the cooking and handling of spices to an East Indian family to prepare, then myself.

Thanks for your advice.

-vlad

Reply to
Vlad

When you choose a primer, consider getting one that blocks stains and odors. Zinsser makes a couple of primers that will do the job. These primers are used to seal walls after a fire to lock in the odor.

Vox Humana

As you have seen from my wife's messages, we have been doing a lot of painting in the house prior to selling it and we have tried two different primers available at our local Borg (Home Depot): KILZ and Behr. I have to admit that I am less than satisfied with the quality of any of the Behr products we've used, but the KILZ seems to have worked fine. It seems that the Borg also sell Zinnser, and I was wondering what was your opinion on the comparison between Kilz and Zinnser ?

Otter

Reply to
NewsOtter

Kilz is probably on par with Zinsser's primers. I like Zinsser's other products, so I generally just go to Sherwin Williams to get Zinsser products. I also like SW paint better that the Behr paint at HD. It is my understanding that the Behr paint at HD is a special product formulated for HD and is not as good as their other products sold elsewhere. In other words, it is cheapened so HD can made a little more money.

Reply to
Vox Humana