Kitchen sink drain smells of garbage

What's a good way to clean a kitchen sink drain? It's not clogged, but it does have an odor, especially in the morning.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I just pour a little bleach down the drain.

Reply to
Vox Humana

You don't say whether you have a garbage disposal or not.

If you have a garbage disposal, get a 4-lb bag of ice, a cup or two of distilled vinegar, and let the water run while you grind up the ice and vinegar cocktail. The ice does two things: it sharpens the blades of the disposal and scours the interior area free of detritus. The vinegar helps remove the really clingy decay.

If you have a straight drain (no disposal) my grandmother used this method: She'd remove the pipes underneath (to the wall; about 2' feet worth total), boil them all in a vat of water and vinegar for 30 minutes, and then scrub out any remaining gunk. She'd then let them cool down and reassemble the pieces. I was told this was done annually. (Side note: Get a rag or large cork and plug the open hole; keep the gases blocked in there and not throughout your living spaces.)

The Ranger

-- "It could be worse; it could be raining!" -- Marty Feldman

Reply to
The Ranger

A teaspoon of bicarb washed down with half a cup of vinegar then put the plug in.

Reply to
Dawn

Hi Tom

I used to just mix 1 tsp of RealLemon in a glass of water and pour it into the drain when I had this problem. It eventually cleared up on it's own after a few doses of the Lemon.

TTUL Gary

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) verbositized:

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

You can run an orange peel or a lemon thru the disposal.

Alternatively, you can pour baking soda down the drain, then add vinegar

Reply to
Tracey

Atmosklear® is the most powerful odor eliminator on the market. Our odorless odor eliminator and odor elimination process removes odors from your home, pets, cars, boats, garbage cans, smoke, and wildlife.

Atmosklear® Odorless Odor Eliminator provides a simple process to eliminate odor at its source unlike other odor eliminators that simply mask the odors with perfumes. Simply spray a small amount onto the source of the odor and it is totally neutralized. There's nothing worse than having guests come over to a smelly house or having to attend a business meeting smelling like a skunk visited your closet. Our forumla will give you the confidence you need when guests arrive at your home or you need to attend a business meeting where a fresh clean outfit is required. You, your friends and coworkers will appreciate the clean, fresh smell available through total odor elimination.

This 16 oz. trigger spray bottle is ideal for the beginner or the small project around the house, camper, or car. Lightweight and easily storable. Can be refilled and used over and over.

Thank You Travis Holzem snipped-for-privacy@atmosklear.net

All your Odors will be a thing of the past!

Reply to
Travis

The reason that drains smell bad is because of bacteria. If you put in some beach it will take care of the smell.

Reply to
Vox Humana