Kirby

Any opinions, experiences? I have just bought G5, used and quite cheap :-)

Reply to
Ania Björk (sveana)

I don't understand the fixation some people have with vacuum cleaners. They are a just machines the brush through the pile of your carpet and suck up the dirt. They won't change your life or cure diseases. The very cheap ones tend to fall apart after about two years. The very expensive ones last longer. Kirby is OK, but the one I used (which belonged to someone else) was very heavy and loud. It had a plastic fan blade that would shatter if you accidentally sucked up a penny or a small stone. Most people pay a king's ransom for these machines and they are definitely not worth it. If you paid under $200, then you probably got a reasonable deal.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" skrev i meddelandet news:5txfc.1897$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com...

Thank You for that. The rest was unnecessary, IMO.

A.B.

Reply to
Ania Björk (sveana)

I don't understand why people ask questions like this. You already bought the machine. It either works for you or it doesn't. Just because I think it is heavy and loud you may not. There is an entire industry that revolves around sell things like appliances and cookware for exorbitant prices with the claims that the product will change your life. Kirby is a good example. These things are sold by high pressure hucksters who make fantastic claims and charge fantastic prices. I realize that you say you got your sweeper for a good price and that is fortunate. Many people have paid many hundreds of dollars for these things. As I said it is just a sweeper. In the end, it either meets your needs or it doesn't.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" skrev i meddelandet news:T5Dfc.61$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com...

Because there is a huge bunch of extremely positive opinions on the web, as wel as the negative ones. Because those positive ones claim that one has a 'cadillac' of vacs. Because I had it demonstrated at home and got knocked out by the price. Because I did not buy a new one - definitely a rip off - and went and bought a used one of an older generation, which I did not see 'acting' on my carpets. Because I am interested. Because. I do not understand why some people wake up on the wrong side of their bed.

Ania

Reply to
Ania Björk (sveana)

Buy you already bought it. All that matters now is what you think of it.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Which would make sense if you were in the market for a vacuum, and were seeking opinions for comparison before buying. Since you already bought yours, I don't see the sense in your question.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

"Nan" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Why not? I want to compare my opinion with those of other owners. And, besides, there are no wrong or stupid questions. There are only wrong or stupid answers.

Ania

Reply to
Ania Björk (sveana)

Exactly. You aren't looking for information. You are looking for the "right answer." In other words, you want someone to validate your purchase decision. You haven't said if the vacuum functions to your satisfaction, if it is easy to use, quite, if the attachment work well, if it spews dust or not, nor have you stated the purchase price. There is always a price/function ratio at play. I would find an average sweeper that was given to me a great bargain and a very good sweeper that cost $2800 a very poor choice. There are other factor like the cost of bags and belt and if the belts are easy to change.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Your continued nastiness aside, If you wish to compare your opinion with other owners, I'd suggest going to their website (if they have one) and seeing if there is a forum designed specially for Kirby owners. A home cleaning newsgroup that gets very few posts isn't likely to give you the information you seek.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Before I decided which vacuum to buy, I stopped by a vacuum-cleaner repair shop to ask the repairman which brand(s) do you see the least? His answer was...Panasonic. I bought a Panasonic 12 years ago, and it still runs exceptionally well today. I had to replace one worn belt, but that's not bad for vacuuming a 2700 sq foot house 2-3 times a week. I think the cost was just under $200. It has three filters to help reduce dust thrown into the air. The bad part is that the bags can not be found locally anymore, but there are plenty of online stores that sell bags for cheap, some free shipping.

About vacuuming. I learned that vacuuming first, then dusting several hours later will pick up the stirred dust made by vacuuming. Doing the dusting first just does not make sense, yet some folks schedule their cleaning chores in this manner.

Reply to
Phisherman

I bought a Kenmore that was a badge engineered Panasonic around 1988 and it is still going strong. I decided to get a second vacuum so I would have one for the two of the three floor that we use the most. I got tired of carrying that thing up and down the steps. I happened on to a Eureka at Tuesday Morning that was going for $99. I is exactly the same as the Electrolux Aptitude selling for $350 at Lowe's. Both units work very well.

Reply to
Vox Humana

...fascinating idea... one that hadn't ever occured to me... I always vacuum last, thinking that by doing so I'll vacuum up any of the dust, cobwebs, etc that I've pushed to the floor... but your theory is interesting. I may have to test that out on one of my clients this week..

- Michael

www.4naturalcleaning.com