Correct Clorox Mix?

What is the correct dilution for Clorox to remove mildew from outside clapboard on a house? Thanks Greta

Reply to
Greta

Not more than a cup per gallon of water. The mix should have some detergent added.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi Gretta

In the neighborhood of .04% sodium hypochlorite.

Using Clorox, you can no longer go by the 1 cup per gallon rule of thumb as Clorox sells both 3% and 5% sodium hypochlorite.

Often the off-brand versions are greater than 5.15% sodium hypochlorite and cost much less!

Then follow-up with a washdown using 'Soilax' or non-sudsing detergent.

Use algicide in your primer and in your paint on Northern exposed surfaces.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Let me be the first to apologize for Phisherman and Gary. Everything's a joke to them.

The traditional mixture for exterior walls, recommended by Sherwin-Williams and the North Carolina Extension Service, is 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. That would come out to 1.05% hypochlorite with the old 5.25% bleach and 1.2% hypochlorite the new 6% bleach.

I like to add 1/2 cup of baking soda for each cup of bleach. That makes the bleach stronger on mildew but milder on skin and clothes. Soda also lets you get good results with a more dilute bleach mixture.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall