The Business of Interior Design

Hi folks. I thought this should be the place to ask this.

Just wondering about the business of Interior Designers. Hopefully with these questions, you can see what I'm trying to find:

- what specific role does an ID play?

- does the customer hire the ID directly in most jobs?

- do retailers and OEMs market their product to IDs?

- do new homes sell empty or are they mainly sold complete?

- who are the people ID sell to?

- who markets to ID?

- where do ID hang out and learn their news about the industry?

I don't want to make any assumptions, so I had to ask somewhere. Just trying to get my head around this industry.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Reply to
BeeRich

As little as possible

I certainly would not.

????

Empty

Idiots

Very very expensive suppliers

Not where I would.

They are not quite as bad as I infer above, but the only ID that I respect was an Architect for many years first. EDS

Reply to
eds

Inferior Desecrators are pretty much useless, except for some furniture discounts.

OR... if you have a particularly difficult female owner, an inferior desecrator can keep them occupied forever. Just be sure you get +10% of their total fee (including the furniture).

Reply to
3D Peruna

Sorry if I'm missing something, why the collective negativity behind these people? Granted, they are not architects, but the responsibilities are completely different. I wouldn't expect a designer to go near what an architect is responsible for. Heck I know some engineers that have completely messed up in my past businesses.

Reply to
BeeRich

You're just not hearing from those with positive things to say about the IDs, like me. I'm not answering any questionnaires, though.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

MOST of the ones I've worked with are all "architect" wanna-be's. The very idea that "architecture" needs "decoration" is the root of the problem. Almost all of them are slaves to fads. It's all "applied" decoration, with little understanding of the space itself.

The point you seemed to have missed, is that they're not about "improving" the structure, but rather selling as much stuff as possible. Paints, wall coverings, floor coverings, furniture, accessories, etc. Whatever they can possibly do to get them to buy more.

But the worst of it all, is that with rare exception, the ID thinks they can design better than I can and we end up in a tug-of-war with the client. The ID wants to be the architect, too.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I remember when the registration of IDs became usual. Before that, almost anyone could claim to be one who worked in the furniture or rug department of some store. Liek CKDs, they are still often tied to products they use which are increasingly available to the public at so called designer discounts. But they often so the kind of personal interaction with the client that others in the design preofessions have little time for. It always amases me to see a ID with some guy in tow spending a couple hours just picking out cabinet hardware on a Saturday. I like that furniture centers and design centers are now open to the public. Saves time, gives people ideas to dream about, keeps people interested in design.

Reply to
++

It's still that way in certain jurisdictions.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Although the terms interior decorating and interior design are sometimes used interchangeably, each discipline exhibit a distinct difference in its scope. Interior decorating is generally focused on the selection and presentation of interior items within a space, such as furniture, accessories, finishes and room layout. Interior design, on the other hand, involves manipulating the architectural integrity of the interior space."

--Wikipedia.org

Often, architects and interior designers are one and the same.

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

Unfortunately, sometimes when there are structural elements involved in=20 the ID, the IDs don't necessarily consult an architect although their=20 liability insurance is way lower because of the fewer liability issues.

Reply to
++

That's why I posted here. Why not speak up? It's not a questionnaire. They are questions to give the full concept of what I'm trying to find out. If I said "I'm trying to get my head around the role of the ID" alone, would that have changed things?

People will have their opinions. That is the nature of the Internet. Don't let people stop you from expressing your opinion.

Reply to
BeeRich

Sure, I could see that. So they are envious of architects. I just thought the two roles are completely different. Architects design the building, and IDs put stuff in the buildings...more or less. So buildings should be left spartan? I wouldn't look to an architect to show me which couch to buy. Yet I need one for my place.

Not trying to get into anybody's face here, I just don't understand why the animosity or if it's just plain disrespect. The latter I could see.

What did you expect?

Arrogance is everywhere. I spent 10 years in the brewing industry, consulted in 3 continents, have an excellent background. Try taking a lecture from a waiter on beer. They think because they take a glass of the stuff to "Table 8" with a ketchup bottle, they are "in the know".

Anyway thanks for your input.

Reply to
BeeRich

not interested.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Then why did you post? You posted to say I'm not hearing positive things from people? Thanks for your ultimate guidance.

Reply to
BeeRich

yes, and not to extrapolate

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Pat pretty much nailed it. And yes, there is a minor difference between interior designers and interior decorators. Interior designers usually have actually been to school for it. Interior decorators are people who were told they had such great taste they should tell other people what to do.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed as much as he could for his clients (even the clothing for one client's wife). Sure, I'd love to be the one that picks everything out. Often I do have great influence over the paint colors, lighting fixtures and other finishes. But nobody wants to pay me to pick out furniture (but they'll pay somebody else with similar fees?). In commercial projects, we often get to pick out furnishings, too. There's nothing in our training that prevents us from being able to do this. An Interior Designer is usually an "architect lite". And when they work against what we've done, rather than work with what we've done, then there are problems. I've rarely had the latter experience...it's almost always been the former. And if it's an interior decorator, then we always have problems...

Most architects can be (and usually are) very good "interior designers", as they've designed the interior space to begin with. In my world view, an interior designer is redundant.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Yeah, FLW picked out everything - he even picked out client's wives for himself and probably did the "fittings" for that dress repeatedly.

FLW nailed it more than Pat did. ;)

RicodJour

Fair enough.

Reply to
Señor Popcorn
3D Peruna wrote in news:JYqki.1802$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

What I dislike is that it's all just superficial decoration, by which I mean, it's not about getting things because you like them enough to have them as permanent parts of your environment - it's all about what's "in".

I get things I like, and then I keep them. I mean, otherwise, why bother getting them in the first place? Why pay for original art if it doesn't resonate with you?

I have some things that IDs would prob call "tacky" or "outdated", but I have them because I like them, and/or they were gifts from people I care about, and/or they commemorate some even or hold memories for me. I don';t give a hang whether they're "fashionable".

OTOH, since I do get thigns I like, they all end up sharing certain qualities, due to the very fact that they appeal to me, "speak" to me. SO IMO, they all "live" together comfortably enough.

And replacing everything - *everything* - periodically. It' snot about havin gkeepsakes, or things that you treasure - it's just about being "fashionable". Which IMO is depressing - if things have no meaning, IMO it just shows that the person's *life* if rather empty, hollow, a pretty shell that is hollow (and probably not even a shell, but only paper mache').

I suppose that, in a way, it's very symbolic, very representative of th ereality of a lot of people's lives: empty shells that are supposed to impress, but have little real meaning, no message, no substance or solidity.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

BeeRich wrote in news:1184054651.418846.42080 @w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Disrespect? If it's that, IMO, it's only because to many people develop a huge honking pompous egotism just because they decide to schelp the word "designer" into their job title.

You see the same thing in any field where someone can do that. Look at some of th enighmares that get called "graphic design" - some people get extremely high-hende dabout their "dsesign", even when thit looks like something that a feverish child threw together while sleepwalking.

As in all fields, the people who are the most pompous (and/or judgemental) are, 99.9999% of the time, the *least* qualified to be so.

Expect...?

Hey, someone who is truely interested in producing good design will use the client's existing posessions, assuming those possessions were obtained for a decent reason (aesthetic appeal, expresion of spme aspect of the person's personality, things that have memories attached to them, i.e. sentimental value, etc.).

That is completely different from just hawking as much crap as possible.

If I hired a Designer, I would *expect* someone who would take my personal preferences, my personality, my lifestyle, my needs, and so on, into account. If what I got was some cheap sales clerk, I'd dump the bum and keep looking...

What other peopel expect, I've no idea. The average dood/doodette is a mystery to me - and I don't think I could drink enough to be able to figure 'em out...

As above: In all fields, the people who are the most pompous (and/or judgemental) are, 99.9999% of the time, the *least* qualified to be so...